Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front axle steering knuckle inner seal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front axle steering knuckle inner seal ?

Truck is a 59 w200 front axle is a 44F.
    I have the front left backing plate off and axle removed and where the knuckle housing ends in the axle housing is what looks to be a bushing about 2" long is this the inner axle seal and do I just pull this out.
    Best I can see at the end of this bushing I do not see anything that look like a seal but maybe a flat leather that I can not see.
    When I look at the parts manual 1st photo oil seal 2-12-8 and guide 2-12-14 look to be close to the differential housing.
    Is it just the way its shown and is this what is actually at the end of the axle housing when the kuckle is joined.
    Hope this makes sense as I am already confused.

I was able to get a good look with a small flashlight and can see that is the seal I was looking at the setup in the parts manual had me screw up. Hard to see the actual seal but it does not look like it had a leak from the differential oil, the cross (ujoint ) is tight so I think I will clean it up and relube the knuckle.

Comment

DANA axle shaft seal replacement

On Dana steering axles, the shaft seal is in the inner end of the tubes next to the diff carrier. The carrier assy must be removed in order to access the seals. The guides are there so the axle shafts can be inserted without the splined shaft damaging the seal lip. A housing spreader is required to stretch the housing a few thousandths in order to remove and insert the carrier assy out of and into the housing easily. Trust me, you do not want to tackle this project without the proper special tooling in hand. A spreader cost around $500, ours is an OTC brand. Some tool outlets may have them available for rent. I built our first one here in the shop years ago, but opted to buy the OTC later when we started servicing more Dana's.

Comment

Charles,Thanks that is what I 1st thought but when I looked again and saw the guide I thought it was the seal. I will just clean the knuckle out and relube.

Comment

Working...
        X