Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I hook up ignition switch for key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I hook up ignition switch for key?

I have a 48 PW and original ignition key switch is shot. I bought replacement for it P/N# KS6181 from NAPA which is a echlin switch. I tried to match up wire for wire before I dissasembled the original then hook up new switch. The original only had 3 posts on it for wires. New switch has 4. I have it hooked up but only the lights come on and will not crank over with floor starter. Which posts on new switch do I want to use and which one should have no wires hooked up to it. Believe new switch only says bat and starter.

wizard

Very simple

We use KS6181 switches all the time. They have 4 terminals, Battery, (power supply coming into the switch, HOT WIRE), usually only 1 wire hooks here. Ignition,(lead going out of the switch to the coil positive or coil resistor if your truck has one, energizes the coil when switch is turned on). These are the only 2 terminals that would be used in your situation most likely. The other 2 terminals are the "accessory" and the "start". No wires hook to the start, (center) terminal if you are using the foot pedal start. Nothing hooks to the accessory terminal unless you have components such as a radio that you wish to use when the engine is not running. The terminals are clearly marked on the back of the switch, should be very simple to wire.

Other wires that would hook to the "ignition" terminal would be to energize gauges on the dash, windshield wiper motors if yours are electric, (lead that powers up the wiper switch), heater blower motor, (lead that powers up the blower switch), if you have one, etc. Basically speaking, anything that needs power only when the ignition is turned "ON".

Let me know if I can help you further.

Comment

Thank you much. Will go out and give it another go.

Wizard

Comment

You obviously have other issues if the foot starter does not work. The key switch has nothing to do with the foot start operation.
        Better check connections at the starter switch and battery. could also be switch itself.
        The headlights are not wired through the key switch, so they should work weather the ign. switch is installed or not.

The power feed is from the ammeter and should be a 12ga brown wire.
        The ign. wire is 14 ga Red wire to the coil.
        The third wire goes to the fuel gauge and is a 12ga Blue wire.
        TGP
        WDX & Misc. Pics.
        http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
        "47" Dodge WDX WW
        "52" Dodge M-37 WW
        "54" Willys M38A1
        "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
        "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
        "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
        "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
        "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
        "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

I'll check the grounds and see what happens when I hook up the new ignition switch.

Wizard

Comment

Working...
          X