Broken Axle Shaft on 1958 W-200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Axle Shaft on 1958 W-200

I originally came to this excellent website and registered with a question about the 4-wheel drive not working on my 1958 W-200. I since answered my own question and made the repair, and I am certainly no expert, but I thought I would share my recent experience in case it could help someone else in the future.

Scenario: Installed new Warn manual lock-out hubs on the truck because 4-wheel drive was not working. I knew the old hubs weren't locking in. After checking to see if new hubs were locking correctly, discovered that right front wheel would turn but would not turn the drive line or the other wheel (which should turn in the opposite direction with the front end jacked up if everything works correctly). With all 4 wheels off the ground and the truck in gear with 4 wheel drive selected both rear and left front turned, but right front would not. Occasionally the right front wheel would sort of bump forward about 1/64th of a turn.

Problem: Axle shaft was broken just inboard of the u-joint. When I removed the hub, wheel, and outer part of the u-joint housing (retainer, I think it's called), the end of the axle shaft fell out.

Solution: Replaced axle shaft, reinstalled everything, and 4-wheel drive works great.

Points I'd like to share: 1. If you find yourself in this position, one of the trickiest parts for me was removing the inner part of the broken axle shaft. To do so, I took a wire coat-hanger, straightened it out, and made a loop in the middle by bending it around the other piece of the axle shaft. It has to be pretty tight because the opening in the retainer is only 1 1/2 inches wide and the diameter of the shaft is 1 1/8 inches (this is a Dana 44 axle--the 3000lb one, not the 3500lb one). I bent the two ends of the wire out and bent hand holds on the end of it. Then I slid it inside the axle so the loop went around the broken axle shaft. With the hand holds I pulled the loop tight like a garotte and pulled. The broken axle shaft slid right out. 2. Don't bother pulling the cover off of the differential, unless you want to inspect it. It doesn't need to be removed , and it doesn't help, to pull out the axle shaft because there are no snap rings or anything on the differential side.

Feel free to correct me on anything that doesn't jive--I am a novice at this. I did get the truck, which is my snowplow, back in action just in time for the big snowstorm we got last week!

Matt , sounds like you did it just like others have before you. The wire noose is a slick trick for pulling a broken axle shaft. Glad you got your Power Gaint going again. What engine do you have in yours? Is your 58 an early or later 58 as in single or dual headlights? Just curious thanks Ron

Comment

Ron,

It's a 230ci flathead I-6, and it is the later '58. It should have the dual headlights, but the previous owner had done some field body work and patched the headlight area with steel plate and bondo. At some point I want to find some decent front fenders, etc. for it. She is far from being a showtruck, but she's a heck of a snowplow. I have gone so far as to get a good 7 1/2 foot box and doors on her, of which she had neither when I got her.

It's amazing that that little flathead can break an axle shaft, but I guess that goes to show you what a little torque and the right gearing can do.

Peace, Matt

Comment

Matt, the L-6 is a good little motor and I have one in my 59 also. They don't have the torque of a poly 318 but it gets the job done. I would imagine cold steel and age had more to do with your breakage. Good luck on finding a set of fenders. They are getting more scarce as time goes on. I can and have repaired several sets at the rear edge. It's the front above the headlights that's really hard to repair with all the compound curves. Glad to hear a Power Giant is still getting the job done. You need to attend the Vermont Power Wagon rally next August, I've been there 4 times and it's a lot of fun with great friends. It's up in Cavendish, VT.

Comment

Working...
        X