Ballast resistor location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballast resistor location

My '68 W-300 has the stock 318 engine but the previous owner changed the ignition to Crane Cams Multi-Spark unit with a Mopar breakerless distributor. He also removed the ballast resistor.
    Yesterday my truck failed to start; no spark at plugs. I traced the problem to the Crane unit or the coil. Have several Mopar ECU's and was going to go to the stock Mopar system.
    My question is any body have a picture or know where the ballast resistor was originally mounted and also where was the ECU box mounted on later year trucks that used them??

Thanks

Ballast on 66 (yours should be similar) was mounted on master cyllinder to firewall stud if I recall. On trucks (70's) ECU was mounted on drivers side fender, must make good ground contact with fender to function. Do you have the wiring schematic?

Bucky

Comment

Schematic

Bucky;

Thanks for the info. I don't have a good schematic. I copied several out of a book at the library but am having a trouble figuring where all the wires go. I have a spare 4 connection ballast resistor and a 2 conection ballast resistor; not sure what the difference is. I can get the harness with the connector to the ECU from Summit Racing.

Comment

Working...
      X