The favored lubricant thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by medic1241 View Post
    Sure did... I had it changed at 25,000 and recently at 66,000. I have about 72,000 on it now... Mike

Is 40,000 the interval recommended by the manufacturer? I can't imagine this long of interval between oil changes. Am I that far in the dark ages?

Comment

Originally posted by medic1241 View Post
      Sure did... I had it changed at 25,000 and recently at 66,000. I have about 72,000 on it now... Mike
      Do you change filters at any smaller intervals?
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I wouldn't think it would be recommended by the manufacturer. I did it as an experiment. I did not have the oil filter changed during that stretch. I have the sample in my truck, but I need to get it back to the dealer. I've already paid for the test... He will forward the sample to the lab in Cleveland, Ohio.
        I carried very good oil pressure during the stretch and continue to do so. By the way, I misspoke on the current mileage... it is just over 68,000. I noticed it on the way in to work this morning.
        I'm working a 24 hr shift on the ambulance. I have Monday and Tuesday which are full days for the students at school and I will be leaving for the rally Wednesday about 9am. We are supposed to go a full day of school... but... I'm leaving early.

Mike

Comment

Updating pays big

Being in the grading business for years and having much opportunity to test various lubes over many years in many types of applications, there are 3 brand names that I really trust far beyond all the rest. Synergyn, Hydrotex, and Royal Purple. Hydrotex is a high end line that deals mostly in heavy industrial markets, it is a very high quality line, but has grown to the point of their sole representative sales network becoming greedy. They have forced prices into the ballistic realm paying high priced dealer rep salaries and bonuses. Synergyn, heavy industrial and racing is their game, was a spin off from Hydrotex that was born for that very reson and eventually became the same greedy bunch all over again. They do however offer a great line of products that do what they claim

After much research and testing of various products, I have seen real quality in Royal Purple lubricants. We have used it in high heat applications and seen the temps come down just as a result of a lubricant change out. In every case we have tested it, I've seen expectations met. While I would not suggest anyone running oil for 42,000 miles unless they had a strict oil analysis program going on for proper guideance, Royal Purple change intervals can be significantly extended while still getting great test results. Sure it cost more to pour it in, but WalMart sale brands will actually cost you more in the long run. First and foremost in the lack of engine and component protection (cheap oils with cheap additive packages blended in just won't cut it), more frequent change out intervals, and using more filters. What Dad used is really a poor reason to stick with a product, technology has brought lubricants a long way, do you homework to get into the current century. If you will truly investigate this from a realistic standpoint, most with the WalMart mindset would be making changes.

I know some will disagree with my statements, I'm not trashing anyone elses thoughts, after all it is you equipment and your wallet that is suffering and that is your business alone. I'm only suggesting you update your knowledge about lubricants as I did some years back. I quickly found I was behind in my thinking along these lines and have continued to update my thinking periodically on this since that time. This is simply my opinion just as everyone else shared their's, plain and simple.

Comment

motor awl

amsoil synthetic is by far and away THE very best of the syn oils, it has tested better than ALL of the other oils. I just wish I could afford to run it!! Dave.

Comment

Actually, Dave.... if you can get that many miles out of it between changes... Anyway, I'm going to get my owner's manual and see what it says. Mike

Comment

A few years ago I started running Schaeffer lubricants in everything I've got and for better or worse I'm sold on this stuff. I had been running Mystik for years with no issues, but when I switched over to Schaeffer's everything I have started easier, ran smoother and quieter, and picked up a minimum of one mile per gallon. I now purchase all of my lubricants from them and run the exact same oil, grease, and gear oil in all my trucks, tractor, lawnmower, etc. I have to order it from the manufacturer, but being a rancher it is convienient to have a large stock on hand and for just a little more than I was paying at the local parts house I am getting a far superior product.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S View Post
                  A few years ago I started running Schaeffer lubricants in everything I've got and for better or worse I'm sold on this stuff. I had been running Mystik for years with no issues, but when I switched over to Schaeffer's everything I have started easier, ran smoother and quieter, and picked up a minimum of one mile per gallon. I now purchase all of my lubricants from them and run the exact same oil, grease, and gear oil in all my trucks, tractor, lawnmower, etc. I have to order it from the manufacturer, but being a rancher it is convienient to have a large stock on hand and for just a little more than I was paying at the local parts house I am getting a far superior product.
                  I did not know of that company.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S View Post
                    A few years ago I started running Schaeffer lubricants in everything I've got and for better or worse I'm sold on this stuff. I had been running Mystik for years with no issues, but when I switched over to Schaeffer's everything I have started easier, ran smoother and quieter, and picked up a minimum of one mile per gallon. I now purchase all of my lubricants from them and run the exact same oil, grease, and gear oil in all my trucks, tractor, lawnmower, etc. I have to order it from the manufacturer, but being a rancher it is convenient to have a large stock on hand and for just a little more than I was paying at the local parts house I am getting a far superior product.
                    They have a hytran fluid for your tractors, too?

Comment

Originally posted by pwdave View Post
                      amsoil synthetic is by far and away THE very best of the syn oils, it has tested better than ALL of the other oils. I just wish I could afford to run it!! Dave.
                      Seriously Dave, if you have facts on Amsoil being that good and you are convinced of it with hard proof, you can't afford not to run it. Consider the longer running intervals and most of all the far greater protection it affords your equipment.

I have in front of me a detailed brochure of Amsoil products from a supplier in Indiana wanting us to become a distributor for their products. I doubt being interested in becoming a distributor, but I will be checking out the product line and technical issues closely as soon as I can get the time.

Comment

Schaeffer makes just about everything, hytran fluid included (I think they just list it with their transmission fluids). I haven't purchased any of that yet though, as the tractor I currently have is older than my trucks and doesn't need it... apparently it is obsolete (although it does have one of those new high tech engines with the overhead valves). My dad has a few that could use it, but it appears they are going to sit neglected until I do something with them... and that is a couple of projects away.

Schaeffer mostly sells through factory reps, anyone can buy it but you won't usually find it at the store. Apparently they are the oldest lubricant manufacturer in the U.S. (which I think is kind of neat). They have been around since the 1830's I think.

Comment

Charles,

Can you share with us some of the protocols and literature sources you use for testing and making decisions on the quality of lubricants?

Thanks,

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Flo View Post
                            Charles,

Can you share with us some of the protocols and literature sources you use for testing and making decisions on the quality of lubricants?

Thanks,

Joe
                            Our testing here and now, plus testing we did years ago when running heavy equipment, was all real world. What I do is thoroughly familiarize myself with the companies test results and claims that they make. If I'm looking at making a possible change in products, I obtain the product that I'm interested in and go from there.

One thing that caught my eye with Royal Purple was their claims of significantly reduced operating temps. As most of us know, the NP200 transfer case used in the M37 military trucks and also the Power Wagons has a tendency to run on the warm side. We are currently testing Royal Purple 40 weight in a newly rebuilt case used in an M37 project we have just completed.

I have personally driven the truck around 300 miles and can tell you already that the case does indeed run significantly cooler. This truck is equipped with an oil temp gauge, a case cooling system, an oil pump, an oil filter, and an auxiliary oil reservoir that a little more than doubles the actual system oil capacity. 3 way valving is incorporated so the pump pulls oil from a container to fill the system. Once the system is full, a bleed-off cock is installed at case full level to make certain that after the initial fill, the oil is at the proper level in the case itself. The fill / bleed off procedure only takes a few minutes.

I noticed right away that the case warmed up much slower than it did with other oils. Royal Purple flows much easier than conventional fluids, and coats internal components with a film that stays on the parts. All these factors result in a better lubricated case, less friction certainly equates to less heat build up.

The pump and cooling system fan are both thermostatically controlled and have pilot lights on the dash for easy observation of all functions. The cooling system has never been activated unless I drove at least 10+ miles on an 85+* day. 70*-75* days, it never activated at all. It is typical to see these cases heat up to 200+* during a moderate drive in warm weather, the highest I've seen the temp is around 185*.

We had designed the electronics so the cooler/pump could be deactivated for testing purposes to monitor where the actual oil temp in the case leveled off without cooling kicking in. Once the cooler and pump come on and start to circulate and cool the oil, it runs at about 180* which is outstanding based on what I have seen temps go to using other fluids.

Many still run 90 weight gear oils in the case, it will run hotter using that than any other fluid, doesn't flow as freely, 50 weight transmission oil is an improvement as far as flow and temp reduction, but the difference the Royal Purple 40 weight made was nothing short of outstanding. The owner of this truck will continue to monitor the system closely and send us updated data as time goes on.

The owner of this trucks plans to display it at the Star City Motor Madness Show and Rally at Roanoke, VA the last weekend this month, more info at www.starcitymotormadness.com We may also get to attend the event on Saturday, not certain yet because of previous obligations. He resides in Dawsonville, GA and plans to attend many local shows in the area. We also plan an upcoming article on the project in PWA Magazine.

Comment

Who said the art of customer service was dead!

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
                              I could hardly contain my joy when Valvoline bought out the local qwickie lube. No more rolling around on the ground for me!! My joy was short lived when mechanic began a 4,782 point check on my beater VW. Wipers, blinkers, horn,reverse lights, brake lights,tire pressure GET ME OUTTA HERE!!.That level of soccer mom service was not what I expected. I was expecting the same 10 min slam bam oil change, but with a superior product. I'm back to rolling around on the ground.
                              Maybe you should have asked for a basic quick y

Comment

Special gear lube for winch found

I have been doing some research on the forum archives and found that the modern recommended gear oil to use with the winches is Lubriplate's SPO 277 class. This lubricant is said to be sparing for the bronze gears, like in our PW winches.
                                I called Lubriplate. The advisor there told me I can order this in smaller sizes from vendors, and gave me the name of a vendor called Motion Industries. Motion Industries has locations all over the U.S. The one I called was in Baltimore, and he had the product drop shipped from a branch in Alabama.
                                It is Lubriplate part # L0247-013.
                                The Motion Ind guy I talked to sold me a bottle of it less than $20 including shipping.
                                It actually comes in a jug sold by weight, in what they call a 2# jug.
                                I am rebuilding my MU2 with new seals and speedy sleeves. I thought I would try gear oil first, and if I still had leakage would consider the corn head grease but wanted to try the appropriate oil first.
                                When it comes in I will re-post.

Comment

Working...
                                X