clutch questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch questions

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever used a hydraulic throwout bearing? Was the np435 avail in trucks that used a hydraulic setup? i need to get this truck on the road asap. thanks

Any pre 69 Dodge should have a hydraulic clutch. I don't know when the 435 appeared but think maybe a couple of years earlier. I think they had 10 spline inputs vs the 23 spline mechanical versions 69-later.

Bucky

Comment

yes the pre-71 trucks had a hydraulic slave cylinder clutch and then again in 1990 had the same setup on the np435

Comment

It may not be clear what he is really asking. There are hydraulically operated clutches that do not use a slave cylinder to move a throwout lever. Such systems do not use a throwout lever. The throwout bearing is mounted on an annular cylinder; a hydraulic cylinder with a hole through the middle of it. Saab did such a thing at one time. I worked on a number of them. I believe high performance auto parts suppliers offer such units for modifications. I am thinking that one of our members has used one in an engine conversion.

So, we need to know the real question.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
          It may not be clear what he is really asking. There are hydraulically operated clutches that do not use a slave cylinder to move a throwout lever. Such systems do not use a throwout lever. The throwout bearing is mounted on an annular cylinder; a hydraulic cylinder with a hole through the middle of it. Saab did such a thing at one time. I worked on a number of them. I believe high performance auto parts suppliers offer such units for modifications. I am thinking that one of our members has used one in an engine conversion.

So, we need to know the real question.
          Yes

I am not aware of Dodge using the set-up such as SAAB so I assumed the question was about the hydraulically actuated lever type throwout. I may have answered the wrong question.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
            Yes

I am not aware of Dodge using the set-up such as SAAB so I assumed the question was about the hydraulically actuated lever type throwout. I may have answered the wrong question.

Bucky
            I took it to mean, had anyone used one as a modification.

We will find out when he returns!

Comment

Well I confess that I haven't used any hydraulic type in any of my vehicles. I have had good luck with the mechanical type, but honestly I have had way more automatic transmission equipt vehicles than anything.

Bucky

Comment

Yes Gordon you have hit the nail right on the head!

I've done a body swap...and I need to keep all the clutch parts inside the bellhousing. This is what I'm working with....

I had a v6/5spd in another Blazer, so I kept that pedal assembly and master cyl setup. I've got that bolted in, I'm just curious if anyone has used a hydraulic throwout bearing on a dodge in a conversion before? If I could find out the throw of the stock mechanical linkage/clutch lever I could go from there. I've found lots of setups for circle track cars with different levels of travel.

Btw, the body mounts in the rear of the cab are almost dead on!. With the radiator mounted in teh stock location I can keep the engine driven fan AND have the radiator support in the stock location. I do have to clearance it for the steering box though. The front cab mounts are way too low, but in the correct space as well. Just gonna grind out the rivets and weld them up higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Disturbeds10 View Post
                  If I could find out the throw of the stock mechanical linkage/clutch lever I could go from there.
                  I have a stock mechanically actuacted throwout lever set-up on a 435 (78 W200). What exactly do you need measured, the distance the throwout bearing moves or the actual lever? I am a good distance away from the truck but will be there next weekend. I can study/measure/photograph mine if it would help in some way.

I would like to see a picture or diagram of this set-up that you & Gordon are refering to that SAAB & maybe others used. This is new to me. Thanks

Bucky

Comment

Bucky, here are some examples.

Or google hydraulic throwout bearing.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Tilton/Tilton-...55538/10002/-1

http://bmcautos.com/shop/index.php?m...&products_id=9

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...d=McLeod&dds=1

Comment

the FORD ranger one should do you

Comment

Originally posted by DODGEBOYS View Post
                        the FORD ranger one should do you

I'll pick that one up payday. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                          I have a stock mechanically actuacted throwout lever set-up on a 435 (78 W200). What exactly do you need measured, the distance the throwout bearing moves or the actual lever? I am a good distance away from the truck but will be there next weekend. I can study/measure/photograph mine if it would help in some way.

I would like to see a picture or diagram of this set-up that you & Gordon are refering to that SAAB & maybe others used. This is new to me. Thanks

Bucky
                          A measurement of the distance the throwout bearing moves would be great. I ran across an adjustable one, although a lil on the expensive side! But if it saves me just one headache I'm all for it right now ;-)

Comment

Working...
                          X