Door Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door Removal

I'm in the process of removing the cab door to take to the body shop. (the driver's side was already off when I got the truck) So far, I've removed the 3 bolts on each hinge... Actually, I broke a bolt off the lower inner bolt. I've gotten the top one out but the bottom one is stubborn. I swung the door open and got the top one out. When I was attempting to get the bottom one out, I accidentally put the top one back in. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mike

2003 SLT 3500 Dually 4x4
    1967 Sweptline W200 2-tone rust
    1967 Sweptline W200 blue/Arizona

Mike,
    Can you post a picture, it would really help.
    To help post pics on this forum, I downloaded "picture girdle 2" a free program that allowed me to adjust me pictures down to a size that works here, which is approx 576X432.
    Dave
    p.s. btw are you attending the WVA rally in October?

Comment

Originally posted by medic1241 View Post
      I'm in the process of removing the cab door to take to the body shop. (the driver's side was already off when I got the truck) So far, I've removed the 3 bolts on each hinge... Actually, I broke a bolt off the lower inner bolt. I've gotten the top one out but the bottom one is stubborn. I swung the door open and got the top one out. When I was attempting to get the bottom one out, I accidentally put the top one back in. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mike

2003 SLT 3500 Dually 4x4
      1967 Sweptline W200 2-tone rust
      1967 Sweptline W200 blue/Arizona

I don't understand what you are saying. What do you mean, you accidentally put the top one back in? Can't you just take it out again? I am missing something.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

i understand what the issue is

The tin on the door frame is putting pressure on the hinge . This happens when the hinge bolts get tightened . then there is age , dirt ,rust which makes the hinge even tighter . Take a block of wood and place it on the door . Start hammering with a big heavy hammer - a dead blow would be good . The piece of wood will spread out the load so you do not damage the door . At least this is how I have done it on countless vintage vehicles over the years . each vehicle is unique but I have had to use this method on my carryall . having one hinge pop out and the other stay in the door is not that unusual - the broken bolt can not stick out into the hinge , it needs to be drilled out if it has broken off part way into the hinge .
        Considering when this was posted you most likely got the thing off 5 or 6 days ago.................

Comment

Working...
        X