New (old stock) batteries for use in my M37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (old stock) batteries for use in my M37

I was given some new (old stock) batteries and battery acid. These are batteries that are sold dry, no acid, and you add your own acid.

I remember this type in the Army many years ago, way back in the 70’s. Yes I am old (Member of the "Old OD Green Truck Club”).

I remember filling the batteries with acid to the top of the plates and then charging the batteries. The problem with “remembering” is thinking you have it right.

Does anyone remember using this type of batteries?

Thanks,

Paddy

I can remember back that far doing those style on the new lawn mowers we set up every spring. We filled to the bottom of the filler hole and it usually had initial charge to start the engine. Just be sure to leave the caps off if you put a charger on and keep plenty of ventilation in the area.

Comment

Thanks Ron.

Paddy

Comment

Does anyone remember? Of course, I can't be that old!

I certainly remember, and also remember taking hydrometer readings as part of battery evaluation.

It still upsets me that I can't check and add water.....

In fact, just last weekend we were arranging some things in my shop and I came across a plastic bottle of distilled water for batteries. I mention it was in a plastic bottle so you don't think it was in a clay urn or goatskin bag.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I had a older sealed battery that 10 plus years old.

With the use of a drilled hole in top I refilled the battery with acid to the top of the plates and ran it for 5-6 more years. The battery worked great and held a charge until some one stole it.

I used a bit of silicone sealer to close off the hole.

Paddy

Comment

Working...
          X