Wheel bearing grease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel bearing grease

What are you using for wheel bearing grease?

Discuss.....
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

The plain old Valvolene that comes in a tub.No special reason,just seems to be the most common.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      What are you using for wheel bearing grease?

Discuss.....
      Lucas Red and Tacky. No real reason, except that's what I usually have lying around.

Comment

Are you packing by hand, or do you folks have a packer?

Comment

By hand. I put a good dollop of grease in my left hand and then take the bearing in my right. Then i repeatedly press the bearing into the grease, in a methodical scraping motion to force the grease into the bearing.

Comment

That is the method I use, also, though I do own several packers.

The favorite one I had was in my automotive program. It mounted on a 5 gallon bucket of grease.

I taught kids how to do it by hand in my general automotive series, but in the advanced class, where production was an issue, we used the packer.

Comment

There's something therapeutic about packing a bearing by hand. The warm glob of grease and the rhythmic motion of breathing life into a dry bearing fresh out of the box.

Maybe I'm looking too deep into it?

Comment

I tend to use the Valvoline Synthetic grease. Might be a gimmic but synthetics are usually better and the extra price is minimal.

I do have a bearing packer. It's one of the cup style with a resivoir of grease below the bearing.

I've also used the cheap ones with the cones where you use a grease gun, but like the cup style better.

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
                  I tend to use the Valvoline Synthetic grease. Might be a gimmic but synthetics are usually better and the extra price is minimal.

I do have a bearing packer. It's one of the cup style with a resivoir of grease below the bearing.

I've also used the cheap ones with the cones where you use a grease gun, but like the cup style better.
                  Does it have a lever operated pump?

Comment

I have a cup style packer but usually end up packing by hand and by the time I am done I have grease all over me. I use regular grease in a tube.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Irons View Post
                      I have a cup style packer but usually end up packing by hand and by the time I am done I have grease all over me. I use regular grease in a tube.

Frank
                      I would like to watch next time....

Comment

Originally posted by JStinson View Post
                        There's something therapeutic about packing a bearing by hand. The warm glob of grease and the rhythmic motion of breathing life into a dry bearing fresh out of the box.

Maybe I'm looking too deep into it?
                        No, I wouldn't say so. Some of my more reflective times have been in the dark of night, standing at the bench grinder, cleaning bolts with the wire wheel.

Comment

I keep a tub of Napa NLGI#2 grease on my shelf for high temperature areas like wheel bearings. I am careful not to mix the #2 with anything else as it is my understanding that it will break down and lose its high temperature rating if it is mixed with other greases. I pack them by hand.

Comment

An old friend.

I have had this for many years. It is long fiber, drum brake, wheel bearing grease. Marvelously clingy stuff. Somewhat like open face gear grease.

I think this can at least 30 years old. It is displaying some change in the can with respect to color, so I am not sure I would use it on something good now, but it is great assembly lube for needle bearings.

Whenever you something like that, always make sure your assembly grease is soluble in your chosen, final lubricant for the device. In operation the grease will just wash out.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Nothing like the smell of grease or gear lube, only topped by Hoppes #9!

Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X