Transmission noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission noise

Maybe someone, or a few folks, here can help me out.

Since I restored my 1946 WDX (all original engine/transmission) there has been a "chu-chu-chu like noise that comes right up from the transmission cover when the truck is running in neutral when the clutch pedal is not depressed. When I step on the clutch pedal it goes completely away. No problems shifting through the gears and I do not appreciate the noise when driving (however these things aren't exactly quite when running so it may still be there). Today, when I was driving I down shifted and I heard the noise with the foot off the gas pedal and it was a bit too loud for my liking. Then it went away the rest of the trip home when down shifting and letting the truck slow itself down. No noise with acceleration, only deceleration when I'm letting the truck slow itself down.

Of note, when I put the truck back together I did have a new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearings put in...otherwise, did not open the transmission. Oil level is appropriate in the transmission.

The transfer case was discussed several months ago (had problems engagin the 4x4) and that was dropped and I found the problem and now that is fixed...noise existed from transmission area before and now after I've taken care of the transfer case...fairly sure it isn't the transfer case.

Also, engine was rebuilt and runs fine. Noise not from rear end or front end...all new U-joints also.

What do you think? I'm leaning towards finding a decent manual transmission guy and just having the tranny dropped and all new bearings put in...guessin the input shaft bearings may be an issue...but then again, I'm not a transmission guy and don't want to get too in over my head. Also, wondering about that new clutch, etc. that I had someone else put in for me...curious if there could have been some mis/lack of alignment or greasy fingers handling the clutch face...but don't think that would necessarily account for the symptoms the truck is having.

Just don't want to "hurt" or further harm anything.

Forest

This would be hard to pin point not being able to heart it myself. What you have described and the way it happens does sound like it would be isolated to the transmission; this is based strictly on info you have shared.

We offer trans rebuild/repair service, if we can help just let us know. Also have various used units available, but they have not been gone into, so not certain of their condition.

Comment

Forest,
      Mine sounds the same way under the same conditions. I have a '52 B-3 PW
      I put new bearings in mine during the rebuild, and two new gears, including the cluster gear. I also have a new pilot bearing and clutch.
      A person who is knowledgeable was sitting in the truck while it was idling and making that noise in neutral with the clutch out, said he thought it was noise from the tranny bearings. Not sure if it is a problem or not.
      Shifts o.k. and otherwise is fine.
      Like Charles says I guess it would take a mechanic inspecting it to know for sure.
      I wonder if it is the design of the non-synchro?

Comment

Hey, DocDave

It is curious that you may have the same noise...it is worrisome to me because I would like to know what is making the noise and be assured that I'm not hurting something 64 years old! Also, one puts a ton of blood, sweat and tears into their truck and "everything should be perfect"!

As I wrote before, I steered clear of officially opening up the transmission per sae because it seemed to operate fine prior to the restoration process and the oil was without any shavings, moved through the gears fine, etc. I'm still curous about that new clutch and pressure plate and though remote, the thought that when the engine was rebuilt perhaps that flywheel wasn't 100% level or perhaps not evenly tightened in (saw in another thread that that was someone elses problem)....also, curous if the noise might be from a glazed clutch because someone left some grease/oil on the flywheel or the clutch at reassembly. I am really curious about the clutch and pressure plate adjustment as the only time this noise is appreciable is when the clutch is engaged (ie. pedal not depressed). Thinking about it, when it made the noise momentarilly during a downshift (granted at moderate speed for a FFPW with 5.83 gears....around 30mph from 4th into 3rd.) it went away when I depressed the clutch pedal and didn't come back when I did more speed appropriate downshifting. Would seem to me that even with clutch disengaged (pedal depressed) at speed and in gear the internals of that transmission would still be turning...yes, the more I think about it the more I think it is the clutch-flywheel interface...not having any slipping that I've noticed however.

Really got rambling with this post...sorry.

Doc Dave, you are in Hollywood MD? I'm in Fairfax and go down to the Navy MWR there at Solomons to put my boat in and fish. If I'm not wrong, you put the overdrive in your truck...every get up this way? My PW is too slow to ever make it down that way. Maybe one day we would get the trucks together and see if the sound is the same.

Forest

Comment

Forest,
          I occasionally get up there to visit family, but the traffic in northern VA being so bad don't go very often. If you are going to be down here give me a shout and maybe you can drop in. I am only about 5 miles from Solomons by road.
          The overdrive is neat.
          I have a trailer, and I was actually up there last weekend to take the PW to the WVA rally. BTW that was a blast. My brother lives in Great Falls and I stopped there for the night.

Comment

Working...
          X