Axle Nut Washers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle Nut Washers

I am replacing the brakes in my 69 w300,the axle nuts were chewed up from the beat it off with a chisle removel. I purchased new nuts as I like to use socket to remove the nuts . Anyhow reading the fsm comment about bending the tabs on the washer to lock nuts. No problem bending it on to the rear nut but just can not get it to bend foward. Tried a few various tools large scew driver, small chisle even tried a brake adjustment tool with a pipe on the end. So what as I doing wrong? Is it important to bend the tab onto the front nut. Looking at the old washers it looks like the front axle were bent over but the rears were only bent to the rear. They are spicer 70 axles

I have a good pry bar that works well. I would suggest you bend the tab slightly BEFORE you put it in place. This will give you a fighting chance to bend it over in place. A large screw driver should get it done. Hope this helps.

Comment

Yes prebending was the answer, as usual another good suggestion from you. I should have thought of it but I got to involved in fighting with the washer.

Comment

Glad it worked out, sometimes we are to close to the obvious to see what we really need to do. Been there plenty of times myself before the light bulb goes on. LOL

Comment

Working...
        X