How do you wire from scratch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you wire from scratch?

I've made many repairs and mods to vehicle wiring systems but this is the first time I am starting from almost scratch. I am quite comfortable with wiring and wire gauge/amp load but would like some opinions please.
    1. My 1957 Town Wagon / PW, engine compartment wiring was hacked by the previous owner when he dropped a 440 V8 / 727 Auto into the truck.
    2. The '57 (as far as I have found) never had a fused system from the factory. I do have an OEM wiring diagram for the truck and it appears to be correct, no fuses. The existing wiring is...55 years old, 'nuff said.
    3. I am installing a 318 / 727 from an 87 Ramcharger (total rust out - it's gone) that I removed engine compartment wiring and accessories from. That wiring will need some TLC to be reused. It is a ball in a box now.
    4. I bought after market fuse blocs that I want to mount under the dash and eventually will install new gauges. I can't follow the OEM wiring so it is a hibred system no matter what I do.
    I plan to sit down and draw out the system first on a big sheet of paper. Then disassemble the '87 wiring to see what I have. Most of the engine compartment connectors were labeled when I removed them.
    Where can I find push clips to hold wire to the frame rail?
    What can I do to make this go easier and better?
    Thanks,
    DrPepper

Some of the after market suppliers for street rod parts have really nice wiring components, including fuse and circuit breaker panels. Have a look at those by examining their websites.

Many years ago I created all new wiring for my 1948 Power Wagon. I did not draw anything, which is not to say your idea is bad. Your idea is great. I was just intoxicated by enthusiasm.

I had all the components in place, and a mental picture of how I wanted to do it. I ran all the wires loosely tied together, so as harness [to use a grand term] could evolve as it got larger. You want to avoid a situation where you realize that your best routing for the harness makes that particular lead too short because you already cut it.

What you are about to embark on is truly a fun project. Please think about doing an article for the magazine on this effort, as it would be well received.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Another tip for wiring.

Mock up a harness out of clothesline.

Comment

I designed and constructed my own wiring harness for my C1-PW6-126. Rather than drawing out one comprehensive schematic, I drew each circuit on a separate piece of paper. With this method I was able to know precisely where my power was coming from and how the circuit was returning to ground. I found invaluable the book Automotive Electrical Handbook, by Jim Horner. He took me as an utter novice, and walked me through the process of understanding how automotive electrical systems work, how to design an electrical system, build it and install. I recommend it to you.

Also, as an aside, I bought all my wire from KayJay. Great folks to deal with. They also built my battery cables; they're beautiful.

Good luck. Have fun.

http://www.kayjayco.com/index.htm
        John

Comment

Wow, great ideas...

I do like to plan before I cut. Funny, the more you cut it never get's longer...?
          The multiple page idea John talked about makes increadable sense. I've been on several wiring sites and now kayjayco. I have a local electronics store that has a good supply of odd and basic connectors, switches, etc for auto electrical systems. I'm thinking of a 4'x8' sheet table in the basement for assembly.
          Gordon, I'll see what i can do, no promises, I'm not a big writer and 75% of my pix are junk.

Thanks,
          DrPepper

Comment

Originally posted by DrPepper View Post
            I do like to plan before I cut. Funny, the more you cut it never get's longer...?
            The multiple page idea John talked about makes increadable sense. I've been on several wiring sites and now kayjayco. I have a local electronics store that has a good supply of odd and basic connectors, switches, etc for auto electrical systems. I'm thinking of a 4'x8' sheet table in the basement for assembly.
            Gordon, I'll see what i can do, no promises, I'm not a big writer and 75% of my pix are junk.

Thanks,
            DrPepper
            You may not regard yourself as a writer, but I do regard myself as an editor, so you would be safe with me. Just do the best you can, and have your camera set on highest quality images. Send them just as they are, don't make them smaller for emailing.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Wiring ideas and guidance

Check out my site and the electrical upgrade section. I hope this is helpful. I can provide a number of urls for parts suppliers we use, including the frame rail clips and fire resistant plastic/nylon wire loom.

http://www.flyingtigertransport.com

Comment

Working...
              X