Questions about lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about lights

So I have a 48 B-1-PW whitch will be a daily driver. I am getting close to wiring the lights on my rebuild.

I believe lights have been done several ways. Here's what I think is the most common way in which they have been wired.

The cowl lights are basily parking lights, meaning they can be on by themselves and also when the head lights are on.

Then there are the turn signals. I know these have been mounted all over the place but here is my question. Do they illuminate from both front and back, or just from the front? I think I have seen them with yellow lens in the front and red in the back. Am I correct? Where does one buy the double sided ones? Where does one buy the single sided ones? I have looked in the Vintage Power Wagons catalog but didn't find it.

Any thoughts on the 12 volt halogen head lights? Are they better than the older 12 volt headlights? I see they are being sold at Vintage Power Wagons.

I also need a lead on buying round tail lights that I can mount into a steel rear bumper. Could not find any of these lights on the NAPA site.

lights

go to napa and ask to look through their lighting catalogue, you should have an amber signal light for each side in front and a red light usually the tail light in the rear, might be a neat idea to put amber bulbs in the cowl lights and have them flash as well. I'm currently doing over a 42 ford gtb decided to use some used harley marker lights for signals, they're pretty small and very period correct looking. so for either a left or right signal on a typical installation lights on the front and rear should flash. I was recommended to use the signal stat 900 turn signal switch by Charles from M series, about a $60 switch, very nicely made and it comes with good very clear instructions, also depending on the flasher and indicator bulb it works on 6, 12 and 24 volts.
    Last edited by Matthew Ziegler; 01-08-2013, 08:53 PM. Reason: stupid moment

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Matt. I'll swing into a Napa in the next few days to see what they offer.
      I have a reproduction Power Wagon Owner's manual for 1945-1971 trucks and it does not mention signal lights. I read somewhere that they were recomended and that the dealership who sold the truck would install them. I understand this is why they are located in different spots and perhap a bit different styles as well. This is why I'm gathering info about them and the other lights.

Comment

turn signal lights

There is a pretty rare set of four signal stat 702/704 lights on E-bay right now with the arrows for $550.
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Chevy-D...c9658a&vxp=mtr

For your reading pleasure:
        http://www.t137.com/TurnSignals/index.htm
        Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
        2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Lights PS

Forgot to include this link:
          http://www.flyingtigertransport.com/frontsignals.html

Also, there have been many discussion on this forum regarding lights. Be sure to check them out as well!
          Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
          2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Thanks Crusher for the leads. The ebay lights seem a bit too spendy for me. I will look into the tail light king link tomorrow that I saw on the flying tiger transport link.

Comment

Working...
            X