Bodywork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My results

Thought I'd throw up a pic of my front fender repair after it was primed. Putting on finish coat today. Learned alot of tips from this forum
    Attached Files

Comment

• Fender looks like new

Great job on the fender creinemann. Big difference, looks like a completely new fender.

Comment

• Great Job!

Looks like the student is now the teacher!
        MN

Comment

• sweet

Nice, so any tips on laying out the holes after welding in the replacement metal?

Rick

Comment

• Re: sweet

Originally posted by RickL
            Nice, so any tips on laying out the holes after welding in the replacement metal?

Rick
            I laid out the holes actually in two ways as a double check.
            The first was to lay brown heavy paper, taped and pressed/folded to match the contours of the fender. then I flipped the fender over and sprayed some cheap paint through the holes on the back side, sort of a reverse stencil. I kept the paper templates safe until I had welded the new patches in place.

The Second, I took a digital photo, and then measured the diameter and center of each hole and transfered it to the printed picture.

I kept the cut out bad steel as a reference for it all too.

To mark the holes, I laid the paper template back over the correct fender ( I almost put the left on the right and vice versa!) and double checked the measurements, and drilled them out with a step drill.

I should point out that on both fenders, I replaced most of the cab side of the fenders as well, that I think was tougher to do because I had no patch panels, made them all my self. If I remember correctly the passenger side fender needed 15 holes drilled and lined up correctly. I hope to mount the fenders this week some time, and I will post a picture of the fiished work.

There are a few 'step' pictures on my website as well

Comment

• Holes

Creinemann hit that subject on the head.

Rick on your cowl if you dont have a pattern you may be able to drill thru the originals from the under side where the original braces are with a 1/8 bit and then finish them to the correct size from the top.

Comment

• THANKS

TonkaDoc,

That was my plan of attack on that side as well. Did not get a chance to work on the truck at all last week hope to get cracking on it this week. Weather getting too nice not to get this done.

Thanks for the tip. I have some fender work to do and was thinking of the patch panel but not sure how to handle the layout.

Either of you guys seen the metalmeet or metalshapers sites. Lots of good information there on bodywork.

Rick

Comment

• Not much done here

I havn't done anything since late last year on mine. I just finished moving and I need to remove a wall to make the inside 24'x30', pour some concrete, rewire and install doors on the new shop before I'll be able to get anything done.

I havn't paid much attention to the metalworking sites out there.

Comment

• The front end finally completed

Here is a pic of the finished front end, without the military markings on. I was off on one hole by 1/4 inch whew...
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Finished Front End

Hey Carl,
                      Nice looking work, again, your smoking me, I can't seem to find the energy/time etc, maybe it's the space/time continum? Keep up the great progress, I am bound to get inspired, I hope?
                      Regards,

Comment

• Space time continum? more like the lack of space, and the lack of time consortium..... Of which I have very little of. If you look to the left of my truck, that's the bed sitting on sawhorses....about 14 inches between the truck and the bed. enough to rip three sleeves on my shirts as I squeeze past.
                        I just arrived at the Findlay military vehicle show, already I can't wait to peek into every vehicle.

Comment

• putting me to shame

Carl,

Here I go ready to tell everyone that I finished shrinking work on the other side of the cab cowling and will post pics soon and you show that.

Sheesh, space/time continum indeed.

Rick

Comment

• Progress Report

Hey Rick,
                            It has been a while, I just re-read the entire thread. The subject came up in another thread, so I did a search for it. Any new pictures?

Comment

• Yeah, anything new?

Comment

• Originally posted by creinemann
                                Space time continum? more like the lack of space, and the lack of time consortium..... Of which I have very little of. If you look to the left of my truck, that's the bed sitting on sawhorses....about 14 inches between the truck and the bed. enough to rip three sleeves on my shirts as I squeeze past.
                                I just arrived at the Findlay military vehicle show, already I can't wait to peek into every vehicle.
                                AHA! Now I see.....but I missed it the first time.

The secret to creinemann's success: HE HAS THREE ARMS AND THREE HANDS!!! No wonder this stuff seems like child's play to him, when he always has an able helper hanging around there waiting to pitch in at a moment's notice. Must be mighty nice to be able to slice off another piece of roast beef as you simultaneously stuff more mashed potatoes and gravy down the hatch.

Not to cause you any embarrasment, but I'd really like to see some pics. Maybe I can get my sawbones working on an upgrade....? :~ )

JimmieD

Comment

Working...
                                X