Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So my Dodge was running like crap and now it wont start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So my Dodge was running like crap and now it wont start.

So Im driving to pick up my wife and as im doing about 30mph my truck starts to bog. Like its gunna stall. I give it some gas and its unresponsive. So I pull over and put the truck in park. Its idling fine. Give it some gas and no problems.

So I get back on my way to get my wife. After I pick up my wife it starts doing it again. Bogging. This time if I step on the gas peddle the engine really wants to stall. So I have to coast or gently tap the gas peddle so it will go.

I pull into a parking lot and it idles fine. Once I put it in gear and go anywhere near 30mph it starts to bog.

So I go back into a parking lot and now this time as its idling I ask my wife to step on the gas while in park and it sounds like it wants to stall. So I turn it off. I go to start it up again and now it wont even start.

Anyone have any ideas????

PS--the truck is a 1991 Dodge D150

Might have water i the gas? Pretty cold out right now Fleabag!!

Comment

I live in NJ where the gas stations have 10% ethanol in the gas. Well the pumps say "This gas may contain up to 10% ethanol".

Comment

Originally posted by Duane Aldridge View Post
        Might have water i the gas? Pretty cold out right now Fleabag!!
        You may want to check your fuel filter too.

C.D.
        1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
        1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
        2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
        1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
        1954 Ford 860 tractor
        1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
        UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Also check the fuel pump and your plug wires.

Comment

So get this.

I take a rubber mallet and tap the underside of the gas tank where the fuel pump is located.

The truck fired right up. Runs and drives normal.

So...replace the fuel pump you think?

Comment

Does this truck have efi/throttle body?

My 1991 1-ton will do the same thing. How much fuel is in your tank?
              For me, I can't let the tank get under a half tank or else it will start doing exactly what you are describing...

I'm kind of stumped as well and look forward to more suggestions...

Pieter

Comment

Yup it has the throttle body.

A mechanic told me there is a sock type filter in the fuel pump that when it gets clogged it will do that. I have a full tank now, but Ill see what happens when I drive it back from my parents house to my house. 30 miles away. Ill have my rubber mallet next to me in the truck just incase.

I cant imagen I have that much crap in my tank to block the fuel filter.

Comment

Here are all the things I've done.
                  New plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, O2 sensor.
                  degreased the engine, cleaned all electrical connectors.
                  new air filter, replaced vacumn lines. no Water in fuel etc...

When I bought the truck, I had to drop the tank to replace a rusted out fuel line. At the time I replaced the fuel filter as well. I do have another fuel filter to put on, but have not done that.

Pulling that tank is not a fun task. I did it on the ground. I've also got a service body and that makes it just that much more enjoyable. Might actually be easier for you to pull the bed. All depends on what tools you have at your disposal and how accessible the top of the tank is while the bed is attached or the tank is in place. For me, to get the connections done - it was really tough. Originally I thought just to make the connections longer then they need to be, then just lift the tank up into place and strap it down. Wrong - the excess hose gets pinched...

Anyway - just to give you some ideas... Prior to the recent issues, it would only run like this when the fuel was really low, ie: needing 22 gallons or more to fill up. Now, I need to do this when I only need 12-14 gallons...

Pieter

Comment

I have replaced the plug wires, plugs, ignition coil and air filter.

The bed is only 6 bolts and its tricky, but I can lift the bed straight off using an wooden A frame and a pulley. Primitive but gets the job done.

Im going to replace the fuel pump once I get it to my house. While the tank is open Im going to get as much gas out as possible and see what crap is in the tank if there is any.

Comment

Your fuel pump is dying. It will probably start blowing fuses as it pulls more amps trying to pump. The fuel level is the give away. A full tank has the level above the pump and exerts fluid pressure into the pump. That makes it easier for the pump to get fuel. When it gets low the pump has to "lift" the fuel into the assembly. I had a truck that would run fine till it had just above 1/4 tank then it would fall on its face at speed or when I tried to accelerate. I think the hammer has the effect of breaking an air lock in the pump but I can't prove it. Your sock is probably dirty also. It isn't just dirt in your tank but the junk in the gas itself. If you can get a pressure gauge on it when she acts up I bet your pressure to the TBI is dropping and the pump is making a moaning noise.

Comment

I somewhat agree with what's been shared but there's also other options. On this truck you're dealing with a fully computerized engine management system.

Within that if there is a failure, or intermittent failure, in a sub system the computer is designed to switch to the 'Limp Mode'. This still allows the engine to run but only at a very low power level, enough to 'limp' to a garage or home.

These trucks have very poor quality vacuum lines, made of a plastic that hardens and gets brittle & cracks/breaks. At least 4 sub-systems are controlled in part by vacuum, and a failure can cause it to revert to limp mode.

A failing Oxygen Sensor on exhaust manifold or header pipe, Fuel Pressure Regulator at rear of throttle body, bad relay electrical connection or vacuum connection, failing water temperature sender, Throttle Position Sensor, Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor & other factors can all cause limp mode to occur.

If you are a Power Wagon Advertiser magazine subscriber there is a fairly concise article in the February, 2006 issue, which gives a detailed guide to troubleshooting the whole TBI system. Possibly a friend would have a copy if you don't subscribe?

The first step before breaking out the big tools is to access the computer 'Self Test Mode', and call up the stored Error Codes. Ths is done by turning the ignition key 'On' -'Off' -'On'-'Off'-'On', and at the third 'On' position the Error Codes will start flashing in seguence from computer readout window above steering colum.

Count the number of flashes, pause, flashes. REALLY helps to have an assistant! Each code is 2 numbers in sequence, with a pause between. Flash-Flash-pause-flash-flash-flash is 23 etc.

Get those codes and maybe it will explain to us what the problem is and we can go from there.

Comment

Ok so I replaced the fuel pump/sending unit/filter. Lot easier removing the bed then draining and gas tank with 18 gallons of gas in it. While I was there I replaced any rubber lines I could find. While the bed was off I saw the muffler was shot and so was the tail pipe. So I got a new muffler and tailpipe and fired the truck up. No stalls, no hesitations, nothing. The truck runs better and runs quite. Runs down I-80 at 70mph no problems. Im rebuilding the rear brakes this week. After that I should be AOK.

Sadly, I have to give the truck up soon. My wife and I are going to have a kid. The truck was fine for my wife, my dog and I. But Its time for something more family size. Man if I could find a carry-all PW that would be great.

Thanks for everyones help!!!

Comment

How much did that set you back in parts?
                            Are they dealer only or can you get them at a normal parts store?

Thanks,
                            Pieter

Not that this would be something I am looking forward to on my truck, but I guess I need to think about it...

Comment

Originally posted by pieter View Post
                              How much did that set you back in parts?
                              Are they dealer only or can you get them at a normal parts store?
                              The fuel pump/sending unit/filter as one single unit set me back $260. The muffler and tailpipe set me back $85.

I bought the truck a year ago for $2500. Since having it I have replaced the front wheel bearings/seals,driverside spindle(wheel bearing went), springs and shocks, tires and air pump.

I would have to say now I am about $1500 in parts into the truck. Not bad for a 18 yr old truck with 174,000 miles on it. Also its been to TX and back to NJ twice with no hiccups. And has traveled Rt.66 from Shamrock, TX to Chicago, IL.

All in all not a bad truck and investment in smiles my wife and I have had in this truck(aka Cletus).

Comment

Working...
                              X