Off road tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off road tires

Just wondering what the maximum tread width can work on the factory rims. I want to go with a tire just a hair larger than stock, 36-38 diameter. Most that I have seen are at least in the 11 inch wide range.

thanks

A thread search is in order here

There is plenty of information available at this site. Also search for "custom wheels" "tubeless tires" "gamma goat tires", etc. Much information is waiting for you.

Comment

Im in the same boat tire wise. Im finishing up the restore on my 52 m37 and i cant find tires for it that i like. I also cant find the search button anywhere on this forum. If someone could point me to the search button or help us out with what tires are avail i would greatly appreciate it.

Comment

Searches are only available for those who subscribe to the magazine or donate to the forums. Both are good ideas for someone working on these vehicles.

Not sure if this will work but you can try this:

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...earchid=110916

If not, here's an old link with some good info:

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...light=Yokohama

And as always, a good site to look at: http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/tires.htm

Comment

Thanks for the links, but i need some updated information on what tires are avail to run on m37's. I would love to find an 1100x16, but i dont think they are in production anymore.

Comment

For that you need to search the rest of the internet or your local dealers. The Yokohama's Charles uses are available from many places, and if you don't like them you can always use another tire of the same size, just be careful about the design specifics.

Most of the other options are found through local dealers, including farm centers and commercial and industrial tire suppliers. Online sources tend to be hit-or-miss with availability of the bias ply tires in our sizes outside of the normal military reproduction tires which can be had from a few different places.

Comment

Originally posted by rush View Post
              Just wondering what the maximum tread width can work on the factory rims. I want to go with a tire just a hair larger than stock, 36-38 diameter. Most that I have seen are at least in the 11 inch wide range.

thanks
              I know that Interco (maker of the Super Swamper) offers a Q78-16 tire. Measure's out to about 35.5x10x16. Its a bias tire. They also offer a radial tire in the SSR line that is spec'd out to a 37x12.5x16. I've seen a FFPW with the combat wheels on the cover of on of the April 2008 edition of Four Wheeler running the 37's with no apparent problems listed in the article. The article lists the 37's as a 10 wide tire, but I've never been able to find this tire size, so I'm led to belive its a misprint. The SSR radial is also available in a 35x10.50x16. Make sure you check the load range of any tire you end up selecting. I wouldn't run anything less than a "D" rated tire on a truck that heavy. Most large size tires are hit and miss when it comes to this rating...

As with any super swamper tire, the best thing you can do is have it balanced at a competant tire shop. The radials seem to be rounder and balance better than the bias tires (no surprise there). I've run the bias tires ina 36 for several years now and have no issue at all with them (but under a toyota, not an M37). The radials might also have a longer lifespan under a heavier truck like the M37 over the bias.

Maxxis tire used to make the Buckshot tire which was available in a 36x10.50x16 as well.

I've also seen wheel adapters on ebay that allow for the fitment of the military 20" wheels to the Stock M37 hubs. This would allow you run the larger military tires that are currently available in most of the surplus yards. It would require you to purchase new wheels though, which is an added expense over the adapters and tires.

And don't overlook the brakes! Bigger tires require a topnotch performing brake system, and M37 dosen't usually stop on a dime with the stock tires.

Good luck in your search, keep us informed of what you find.

Comment

Thanks on the info. The 35.5 by 10 might be the one. I do run a smaller super swamper on my 51 jeep.

Roger on the brakes, just recieved in the mail, front and rear disc brake conversion kit's from ugly truck (still gotta send out the hubs).

Comment

If your seeking more offroad performance rather than longevity, the Super swamper Bogger is also available in a 35x10.50 16 and a 38.5x11x16. The 38.5 is similar in size to the 11:00x16 Michelin that we all know and want.

Comment

Originally posted by m37_power View Post
                    Thanks for the links, but i need some updated information on what tires are avail to run on m37's. I would love to find an 1100x16, but i dont think they are in production anymore.
                    There was someone in Florida selling Michelin 11r16's for somehwere between $900-$1,000 for a set of four. Last I heard, he had about 100 left and that was at least a month ago. I believe shipping was about $250 for the set. These were pretty new tires with very little use if any.

They do pop up from time to time. Just have to put out the word that you are looking for some.

Pieter

Comment

Working...
                    X