dodge humvee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dodge humvee

HUMVEE Boy now that ought to get your blood going. let me explane. I own a Dodge humvee was built back in 1978 or 79 by General dynamics for the HMMWV contract. To the best of my knowlege this was one of three test vehicles built by dodge. the door tag is as follows EMT PRO PV1 I am thinking this means Experamental Military Transport PROtotype Prototype vehicle 1 I was just wondering if anyone had heard or knows of the whereabouts of the other two ?  I have been looking for quite some time but no luck. these are the only photos I have found so far. I think the OD green one is mine. sorry if the link wont work  Im not real good at the computer stuff. http://www.angelfire.com/nb2/jeeppickups/humvee.html

Link Worx Fine

Cool discovery, I like it to, congrats!

Comment

Would love to see current photos of your vehicle!

Comment

would love to post a pic of it but i have been unable to send a pic from my phone to my computer. I could send a mms text to someone and see if they could post but not sure. best i can do for now is here http://brochures.slosh.com/hmmwv/gen...prototype3.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bignbad View Post
          HUMVEE Boy now that ought to get your blood going. let me explane. I own a Dodge humvee was built back in 1978 or 79 by General dynamics for the HMMWV contract. To the best of my knowlege this was one of three test vehicles built by dodge. the door tag is as follows EMT PRO PV1 I am thinking this means Experamental Military Transport PROtotype Prototype vehicle 1 I was just wondering if anyone had heard or knows of the whereabouts of the other two ?  I have been looking for quite some time but no luck. these are the only photos I have found so far. I think the OD green one is mine. sorry if the link wont work  Im not real good at the computer stuff. http://www.angelfire.com/nb2/jeeppickups/humvee.html
          Does it have the 440 in it? I saw a 440 powered Hmmvee at the GD Plant in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. I don't know where it went after that test was completed.
          It looked more like the XR311 and had the 7 slot grill, so I'm not sure what the heck it was....= )

Comment

heres a funny story . when i first got it i could not figure out what the lock postion ment on the shifter as to the fact there was no inputs to the diffrentials ie.. air or electrical for lockers. so i took it out thinking i could put the front bumper against a veritcal embankment and see which tires spin ..... ya right thing went veritcal and i was looking at blue skys waiting for the thump on my head as it flipped over backwards. after a moment of nothing i then realized i now had another problem i could not back down and i was stuck in my seat in launch position. only way to get out was to do a pullup on the steering wheel as it sits 8" away from my chest. anyhow i did the bounce your butt thing and got to where i was now hanging from the steering wheel by my hands lying on the floorboard. i let go and slid down to the tailgate. as it ended up i had stuck it on the rear pintal hook. had to dig that out and rolled her back down. i then asked my friend which tires spun on his side as to the fact that nothing spun on my side. he replyed that nothing spun on his side also. turns out that the lock means that i locked the the front diffrential to the rear diffrential in the transfer case. and it already had lockers on the front and rear. alas it was a true 4x4 with all tires turning at the same speed and zero slippage. of course that led to another problem of ripping the lugs off of the tires... another story another time .

Comment

Good Link

Unfortunately, bignbad unless you are a subscriber (to the PWA Magazine) or the other type of forum sponsor/donor you will be unable to post any pic, only a link to your pic that is hosted elsewhere.
              I would like to see your rig up close & personal?
              I think that Maserati had tossed a design in the ring as well, only 2 or three prototype developed?

Comment

mopar norm it has a 360 with a 4bbl holly dana 60 front and rear massive coil springs and a swing arm wishbone thing with a tri-pod to the rear diffrential. Interesting that you said gd in rancho c. sounds like the right area heard mine went from G.D. to hughs missile systems in Pomona as to they needed a veh. to tow around there missile carrers. from there it went to a man in riverside. of which i hounded for 4 years to buy it from him.

Comment

Bruce guess I will have to look into the magzine thing bottom line is this is dodge history in the making and few ppl. know this thing exists. as to the three veh. i heard that there were 9 test veh. made 3 from each bidder. the photo link shows pv3 i think mine is the spitting image of it. the photo above that shows one with a split window and no top. Ive also seen ref. to something saying there were 11 veh. but i will stick to the three. still confusing is to the xm311 ? not at all sure where that fits in. like i said got my work cut out for me

Comment

Bruce guess I will have to look into the magzine thing bottom line is this is dodge history in the making and few ppl. know this thing exists. as to the three veh. i heard that there were 9 test veh. made 3 from each bidder. the photo link shows pv3 i think mine is the spitting image of it. the photo above that shows one with a split window and no top. Ive also seen ref. to something saying there were 11 veh. but i will stick to the three. still confusing is to the xm311 ? not at all sure where that fits in. like i said got my work cut out for me
                    Try to contact Gordon Maney, the PWA Forum owner (and baby sitter) put together a story w/all of the documentation that you can get ahold of, could be a story in it as well as fame and notoriety, a win/win situation.
                    How about it Gordon?

Comment

Lexington, NE...

You might want to contact the Military Vehicle Museum in Lexington, NE. They have a couple of the HMMWV prototypes (one was Canadian I think)... They might have some answers about the prototypes.

Good luck, great truck!
                      -Dana

Comment

|Thanks Dana. i called them and spoke with Gary. they do have one that is close to it called the XM 998 Gary said the ser.# was 0001 looks like a newer version then mine. thankyou for the input. Tom... aka bignbad

Comment

mopar norm it has a 360 with a 4bbl holly dana 60 front and rear massive coil springs and a swing arm wishbone thing with a tri-pod to the rear diffrential. Interesting that you said gd in rancho c. sounds like the right area heard mine went from G.D. to hughs missile systems in Pomona as to they needed a veh. to tow around there missile carrers. from there it went to a man in riverside. of which i hounded for 4 years to buy it from him.
                          The GD Plant in Rancho Cucamonga was a satellite of the original WWII General Dynamics plant in Pomona (Convair Division) That became the missile plant (Standard Missile, etc) The Rancho Plant was solely for the Stinger missile.
                          The Pomona Plant did not become a Hughes facility until years later, in the late 1990's. It is now shut down.
                          I spent a great deal of time at both facilities as well as at Hughes Fullerton Ground Systems and Rockwell.
                          The Chrysler Humvee was only seen at Pomona for a few months, because they had a vehicle test track there.
                          I spent a great deal of time looking at it but that is all as we were in a security area, no camera's or drawing paper allowed....= )
                          Not 100% convinced that it is the same vehicle, as the one with the 440 was very close to the final AM General body style.
                          This was only a few months after AMC spun off AM General and was bought out by Chrysler. I've always wondered how great the H1 could have been with the Cummins diesel and Chrysler parts instead of that turd GM diesel and flaky Delco parts, if only AMC had kept AM General until Chrysler could purchase both divisions of AMC.

Comment

Thanks Norm, somehow I had a feeling that you might know a little about this. just my gut. 440 huh, when i took it to the ref. smog station in riverside they spent 2 hours on it trying to figure things out all they could come up with was engine could be anything from a 75 to 84 so they listed it as a 75 to help with smog and upped the gvw to 8501 lbs. then removed a couple smog items. cool thing was after it passed they then asked if they could retune it to run better. the tag lists it as 5.9 which i asume is a 360. and i fully agree with you about the cummins boy i wish it had one. maby one day it will. gary at the muesum i called yesterday brought up something which had worried me for quite a few years. said that this thing should never have made it out into the public. one of the reasons i never mentioned it to to many people i've owned it now for about 10 yrs. paper work did start with hughes.

Comment

Ha! Ha! yes the worthless stream of trivia...ha! ha!

Yes, the 5.9 is a 360.
                              If you have pics, you can email them to me in whatever format and I'll post them on the DTA Image Event Albums and post here.

Comment

Working...
                              X