New M37 owner again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New M37 owner again

Ever since i sold my 1st m37 iv wanted another to play with. Well I bought one last night, I picked up a 51 with 6301 original miles came with paper work from when it was sold out from the army back in 78 and a title. It then went to a fire station in Massachusets. Then sold to a guy who used it for 10 years in the woods dragging out firewood till it broke (suposedly timing) and he just decided to use his tractor instead. So it sat for 3 years till yesterday when I bought it. Hoping a good tune up carb cleaning and a check on the timing and it will fire up.
    Before I fire out some questions here are some pics I grabed today

is there a way to run regular plugs wires and distibutor cap and avoid the water proof ones that are on it? Also were can you buy fender patch kits now I checked www.jeepanelplus.com were I thought you used to be able to buy them but couldnt find any. Also can you buy a carb rebuild kit at local parts stores or should I buy one online somewhere?
    Thanks
    Evan

If you do a thread search

on all three of your questions, you will get plenty of information. Welcome to the forum. Looks like a good find. An old workhorse almost ready to go back to work. Keep posting as you progress..

Comment

Were is the search feature on the forums? I am no beginer on the internet/forums but I cant seem to find it. Do you have to be a subscriber to get that privalage??

Comment

yes, you have to subscribe to be able to search......
        I think you can use other plugs with normal wires even if the truck is still 24v, you don't have to use the waterproof ones. I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
        What part of MA did your truck some from? I got mine in North Adams, similar situation.

Comment

ill have to subscribe now that iv got one I am trying to fix up. I got the truck from gardner ma about 30 miles west of were rt2 hits 495

Comment

oh, you mean Gahdnah, MA!
            lots of good info on here

Comment

i can see that were in NH is your truck I am located in rochester just off the seacoast.

Comment

Strafford, on Bow Lake. My wife grew up in Rochester, near the hockey rink off 125

Comment

finally found some time to start tearing into this project. Have decided to do a complete drivetrain swap. Going to go with a 94-98 dodge cummins 5spd drivetrain (Engine to transfer case and also axles) Looking for a parts truck now. It should come with a nv 4500 trans hd transfer case and a dana 60 front axle and a dana 80 rear. Should be a bullit proof drivetrain once i get it installed.

So far I got the motor/trans taken out of my m37 should start on some body work and continue taking out the wiring and transfer case this week. truck is lookin a bit empty right now

Anyone need an engine (Needs work low compression I believe) or trans?

Comment

Good luck, I'm only slightly ahead and it looks like you may be starting with better stock.

I don't think the Cummins 6-cylinder will fit without extending the front forward or letting it extend into the cab. It's been done, but it's more complex then the 4-cylinder Cummins swap.

Comment

i am prepared to have to cut a little to make it happen, however i dont think it will take very much. I am a huge cummins fan (Have had 3 cummins power trucks, current one is just under 600hp) And am hoping to make this one a toy, with big power and I dont think I would be happy with the power of the 4 cyl.

Comment

You might want to talk with Paul (in NY). He hangs around over on dodgepowerwagon.com. He is a master at Cummins transplants, and uses the 4BT exclusively. He has done a Carryall, A Power Wagon, an M37 and is now doing a W-300.
                        Unless you are planning to move mountains, I think Paul's experience will demonstrate that the 4BT is perfectly fine. And a much better fit for your engine compartment. It is a hard enough swap, no need to make it even harder.
                        Tim
                        57 Power Wagon
                        Numerous Power Wagon parts trucks!
                        57 W-100
                        60 W-100
                        51 M37
                        61 Triumph TR-3A
                        80 Triumph Spitfire
                        09 Dodge Ram 2500HD
                        05 Subaru Outback
                        10 speed bike
                        Hiking Boots

Sumus quod sumus

Comment

Originally posted by powerwagontim View Post
                          You might want to talk with Paul (in NY). He hangs around over on dodgepowerwagon.com. He is a master at Cummins transplants, and uses the 4BT exclusively. He has done a Carryall, A Power Wagon, an M37 and is now doing a W-300.
                          Unless you are planning to move mountains, I think Paul's experience will demonstrate that the 4BT is perfectly fine. And a much better fit for your engine compartment. It is a hard enough swap, no need to make it even harder.
                          Tim

I had given the 4bt lots of thought but I just dont think Ill be happy with the power it would make. I currently have a 94 dodge 2500 with almost 600 hp and am left wanting more sometimes.

Comment

Power is definitley addictive! I read a write-up in one of the 4x4 mags several years ago about a 4bt that was swapped into a Willys Jeep wagon. They added a turbo, and cranked it up a bit. Produced something like 280HP and 500lbs of torque! More than enough power to be a comfortable daily driver or weekend warrior. With all the diesel tech available today, I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers could be improved upon. I guess the real question to ask is not how much power do you need, but what do you want the truck to do?

Good luck with the "big" cummins swap - keep the pictures comming!

Comment

will definitly keep the pictures coming as i progress. Nothing new as i am still lookin for a donor truck everyone i find falls threw. I have seen 4bt's putting out 400+ hp. I am hoping for 600+. Plan is to trailer it to trails/ mud bogs on the weekend and also to diesel events around the northeast to run at dynos and maybe the occasional drags. The purpose is to replace my current 94 CTD powered truck and take it back to the tow rig as I cant afford the time down I get now pushing 600HP for daily driving/ toy

Comment

Working...
                              X