big block in a 52 m37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big block in a 52 m37

considering a minor power upgrade in my 52 m, current motor 230" flathead very tired and I might get a good deal on a 68 383. How much trouble to shoe horn it in using existing original running gear, which is in very good condition. thanks for any thoughts insights or ideas. George

George, It will be some work, but the M's drive line will be your issue. The 230's would break axles, and I twisted one with my 318.

check out this build: http://g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?t=1192
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

I too am planning on a big block power upgrade, but its not a mopar engine. I chose the Ford 428, its only a touch bigger dimensionally than a GM small block, but puts out way more power. Plus, as Ford built the M38, it was associated with M series vehicles, so I really don't feel bad about using one of thier engines.

(this logic is a big reach, but its justifiable in my head....:)

Comment

Originally posted by MasterYota View Post
        I too am planning on a big block power upgrade, but its not a mopar engine. I chose the Ford 428, its only a touch bigger dimensionally than a GM small block, but puts out way more power. Plus, as Ford built the M38, it was associated with M series vehicles, so I really don't feel bad about using one of thier engines.

(this logic is a big reach, but its justifiable in my head....:)
        The Ford you mention; is it smaller than a 440 Chrysler?
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
          The Ford you mention; is it smaller than a 440 Chrysler?
          I'll need to recheck my measurements again, but IMS its about an inch longer and 1.5" wider than a GM 350. Its only about 80 lbs heaviers too. I don't know about the 440, as I've never measured one.

My 428 is out of a 69 Torino and is the CJ version. Its been freshened up a few times now and still has lots of life left. It spent the vast majority of its life in a 1966 F100 4x4 pickup. Its had a few upgrades over the years like a steel crank, and better pistons, but nothing two drastic - just potent and reliable which is what I want. Its cranking out about 425 ponies and somewhere just shy of 500 ftlbs... I figure that should be enough to keep me happy...

Comment

So I measured my 428 this afternoon and the tape measure gave me these numbers.

25" wide at the front of the block - outside to outside of exhaust manifolds. The Drivers side dumps downward at about a 45* angle (shaped like an offset center dump manifold). The passenger side does flare out another 4" or so at the rear outlet, but it dumps downward as well at about a 25* angle. These measurements are with the stock cast iron manifolds as well.

29" tall approximatley from the bottom of the oil pan to the top of the air cleaner. This could be shortened up abit depending on air filter and carb choices. Plus I just eyeballed the tape measure, so I could be out an inch or so...

29" approx. from the bellhousing mount to the tip of the water pump.

I measured the 251 in my 52 M37 and it was similar in dimensions... I'm confident that the engine will fit with minimal fuss...when I get around to it.

Sorry for the thread hijack George, how is your 383 install comming?

Comment

found a major vaccumm leak at the carb vaccumm port and she pepped up quite a bit when repaired, so the upgrade may not be an immediate need, also added water injection these old flatheads really seem to like it, thanks for all your help and insights, George

Comment

Working...
              X