Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another paint dilemma

Hey guys:

Some time back I posted about an M37 ('52) WWin I found in a warehouse in Eastern Arkansas. The paint is about 90% original and in good condition. There are some rust pits here and there along with some chips that I've feathered and shot with self-etching primer. But, I've run into trouble with the finish coat.

I only want to bring the vehicle to what we call 10/20 standards, in that the vehicle is combat serviceable. This means I wanted to keep all the paint original and touch up like we used to do in the motor pool. I felt this would be successful so I ordered a couple of cans of WWII Olive Drap, semi-gloss and the shade the manufacturer recommended for this vehicle. Trouble is, this vehicle isn't any of the shades he sent. I fear the vehicle was brought to spec in the '70s just before it retired because the paint is flat and not as brown. Also, when I buffed the door to find the stars and bridge identification placarding, the color doesn't match the recommended color as well.

I read several threads and they didn't address the problem. Some of you probably know what I'm dealing with. Thanks in advance for your advice. Please remember it is important to me to keep this vehicle as original as I can, not sandblasted and painted to showroom spec. Like me, it is an old soldier and I want to play with it as an old soldier. If I ever show it, it would be nice to show it as combat serviceable.

Steve

You Didn't Say

Whether you knew when it was painted last, or if you knew who did it? If the stars & bridge maker disk were painted over, it's a good chance that the perpetrator did or did not use the correct fed # 24087? The person you bought from any help w/info?
    Some of us have used color matched Home depot paint, or other manufacture's.

Short of having a chip paint analyzed,(if it can be done) I think you have your work cut out for you. another thing to think about, if the paint job is original, the fading alone will make it near impossible to match.

Most guys are using Gilespie Coatings, an industrial coating that is near bullet proof and quite easy on the eyes. That is what I am using, let us know what you come up with.
    I am not a pro at the painting stuff, just a chef that likes to mess around with the stuff.
    Good Luck,

Comment

Working...
    X