Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Distraction

Greetings all,

I have been lurking here for a bit trying to get a feel for the M37 and what can be expected in restoration...I have learned a lot. So here is Gertrude:

I just got her into the garage this weekend and she is a beauty! She has been outside for the last 2 years, spent about a hour getting her to crank over, she still is 24v, had to get two new batteries, pump the tank, put in fresh gas in, a few squirts into the carb and off she went! I only had to drive her about 2 miles, only until the cooling system got up to temp did she start steaming..but by the time that happened, I was at my garage.

Anyway, my biggest question is: where is the serial/model number listed? I have not really started to look so I thought I would ask you all. She is mostly original, I am looking not to do a ground up at this time, just want to get all my information about her gathered, so when I go to dig up parts, etc, I can have all the information I might need.

BTW, I think she is a 1953 M37...but until I look up serial numbers I wont really know.

Regards, J Brouwer

Serial # Location

Greetings J,
    Gertrude's serial # should be just behind the driver's front wheel, on the frame, about 3/4" tall, just ahead of your steering box. Just guessing, but it might/should start w/ 800XXXXX, not sure how many #'s?

Comment

You might try looking at.......

the dash data plates. Those numbers and some others were stamped into each trucks data plates on the glove box door.

Comment

Haven't Found 'Em Yet?

Warren is right, they should correspond w/ each other also.

Comment

Not fully correct

The numbers stamped into the frame rail is the full VIN number. It may be under 10 coats of paint, but it will be there. The number on the data plate on the glove box door is not the full VIN number, but is the sequence of manufacture number in a given year. The number on the plate will be the last digits in the string of numbers found on the frame rail VIN number. You will have to look on the frame to uncover the VIN number needed to register the vehicle legally.

Comment

Working...
          X