225 slant six in m37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 225 slant six in m37

I am thinking about a installing a slant six with an np435 trans in a project m37. Should give about an additional 40 hp and way more rpm. Also should sip gas on those long trail rides. Input anyone?

I think it is a great idea, and wish more would use that engine in conversions in old Dodges.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Supposedly Israel paid Dodge 1 million to fit the Slant Six in the export PW, so if the M-37 engine bay is the same length, it will fit...

Comment

Seems like a great idea - better power, better mileage, won't destroy the driveline, easy to get parts for, and its different than the usuall V8 swaps... Good choice!

Comment

Plus they're practically indestructable and actually have a small but devoted performance aftermarket. Best of all it's Dodge power plant!

Last I remember seeing one the "slant" was pretty severe, will there be enough room for it to fit leaning over?

Comment

/6 performance

check out clifford performance. wild stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
              Plus they're practically indestructable and actually have a small but devoted performance aftermarket. Best of all it's Dodge power plant!

Last I remember seeing one the "slant" was pretty severe, will there be enough room for it to fit leaning over?
              I think it will clear the right inner fender, the current engine is displaced slightly to the drivers side about an inch I think. Unfortunately I can't measure any thing out right now because I'm in Irac for the next 7 months.

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
                check out clifford performance. wild stuff
                roger,

already been there. I have to admit I'm not much into headers, and the four barrel carbs on six cylinders. I'm just looking for a little more power with the ability to run at higher rpms without throwing a connecting rod. It would be nice not having to trailer the truck to every trail head. I'm betting a lot better fuel mileage on the side.

Comment

Ford made a 300 cu. in. six and Chevrolet made a 292. It would have been neat if Dodge had made one about that size. I'll bet a 300 cu. in. slant six would be quite an engine.

Comment

At the slant 6 forum there is a guy that had a stroker crank welded for his slant 6 and used 2.2 turbo pistons, came out to a 260 cu in.
                    1949 B-1 PW
                    1950 B-2 PW
                    1965 WM300
                    1968 D200 camper special (W200 conversion)
                    1970 Challenger RT 383
                    1987 Ramcharger 4x4
                    1991.5 W250 diesel
                    1999 Jeep Cherokee limited 4x4
                    2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Comment

As great as the "Leaning Tower of Power" is I would be concerned about the length. It probably would fit but the same issue of a bellhousing would arise. I believe that a 318 is actually shorter than the inline. Another issue would be the distributor as it is on the down side and might end up real close to the fender wall. That would give a sane person screaming fits attempting a tune up.

Comment

Originally posted by greg rider View Post
                        As great as the "Leaning Tower of Power" is I would be concerned about the length. It probably would fit but the same issue of a bellhousing would arise. I believe that a 318 is actually shorter than the inline. Another issue would be the distributor as it is on the down side and might end up real close to the fender wall. That would give a sane person screaming fits attempting a tune up.
                        The 318 is shorter. My father dealt with the distributor issue by removing it when he worked on it. Also, a real long speed handle worked great for the clamp bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                          The 318 is shorter. My father dealt with the distributor issue by removing it when he worked on it. Also, a real long speed handle worked great for the clamp bolt.
                          There is a thread here with a wm 300 style truck (with no cab top) M601? That resides in the middle east somewhere that has a factory slant six. Looks pretty good to me. It's titled "X30". Of course the inner fenders and firewall are completely different between the the two trucks. Long term I want to go 4bt, but it's just to much money for right now.

Comment

Originally posted by rush View Post
                            Of course the inner fenders and firewall are completely different between the the two trucks.
                            That is what I thought would be changed. I personally don't like to do a lot of sheet metal work and would rather fab up engine and tranny mounts. I know that the 225 in my '70 Duster was a pain to do tune-up on. When I put the 318 in ( c'mon I was in high school, MORE POWER!!! ) it was a lot of work in 1982 switching the K member but I had the time and REALLY wanted that 318!!! Ran great till one morning the milk-man didn't set his parking brake good enough and the truck rolled about 50' and slammed into my parked car. I took the money and went into the Marines. Bought a '78 PowerWagon and the rest is history.

Comment

Originally posted by greg rider View Post
                              Roger, of course electronic would be the way to go so no point adjustments. Bell housing wise I was thinking of shifting to a transmission cross member for the rear mount in place of the bell housing rear mount. Also running the 435 transmission, eliminates any conversion adapters. Ugly truck had a slick way of hooking up the clutch in the engine kits they use to sell, I figured I would copy there design. Anyone know the measurements length wise of a slant six and the flat head? I'm currently on the other side of the World.

Comment

Working...
                              X