No announcement yet.

Repower or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 318 re-powered M got 8-9 MPG when I drove it to work.
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Originally posted by MasterYota View Post
      Plus a higher rpm band will let you downshift sooner, and maintain momentum when climbing hills.

I recall that I was comming home a few years back, and climbing a hill with about an 8% grade, about 1.5 miles long. I was already in 2nd gear and was considering downshifting into first (bull low) just to keep the truck moving. Out of the corner of my eye I saw movement. It was a fully loaded tourist on an 18 speed bicycle. He smiled and waved, and then passed me. By the time I got to the top of the hill, he had rode out of sight. I never did catch up to him after that.
      That entire trip was 125 miles, and it took me the better part of 5 hours to accomplish the distance. 3 weeks after that, a V8 was put between the frame rails and I could cruise down the highway with the speed of traffic; uphill and down, and I got 3-4 times the mileage.

For those wanting to keep the flatheat, but upgrade to the bigger engine I'll soon have a runner 251 out of my current M37.

That bicyclist must have been laughing his tail off. And it obviously was the deciding factor for you. You just could not let that happen again. Ha

good story, point well taken

Comment

Yep, that was the straw that broke the donkeys back... I think after I repowered mine with the 305, it averaged about 12-14 mpg, if I wasn't into it hard. It would cruise all day at 60 miles an hour around 3000rpm. 4.88 gears would have helped alot, but the 5.83's where killer when playing (messing?) with teenagers racing from stop light to stop light!

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfman View Post
          Driving around the beat up '52 parts rig I just got, the frame definitely creaks when flexed. I refurb'd a '65 CJ5 decades ago and I had the frame boxed - certainly stiffened it up and they were notorious for frames cracking under extreme use.

I do my wheeling up in Northern California - Rubicon and the lessor known but more extreme Fordyce trail (IMHO). When you are crawling through the rocks, you are not shifting, you are looking where to place your wheels and pick your line. Also, faster speeds make drive component failure more likely. The number one rule on the trail is, if you brought it in, you bring it out. That includes your 6Klb truck so I'm building mine for that specific task in mind.

I would highly recommend Ray's disc brake upgrade, atleast up front. I'am also following a thread that discussing using D60 axles inside the stock M37 axles tubes. Now that would be pretty cool to pull off.
          Wulfman,

I have a friend in Reno that wheels Fordyce, he loves it. Any worries of the environmentalist shutting it down? Roger, you bring it in, you take it out, otherwise they shut the trails down.

Comment

Fordyce Environmentaltists

Rush, I know the greenies follow the Jeepers when they do their Sierra Trek up fordyce and look for gotchas. The jeepers are well organized and clean up/mop up spilled fluids etc...

I usually go up once a year with a small group of 4 or so jeepers and we clean up as well but no sign of greenies. Likely something to do with our habit of target practice.

I've been going up to that part of the Sierra's since 1960 when my Dad bought a small cabin on Donner Pass. I've hiked, biked and wheeled alot of the area. In fact me and a buddy rode our Mtn. Bikes down Fordyce trail - big mistake. 4 river crossings and alot of rocks! Great rig trail though. I have visions of getting my M up there next year.

Comment

Jethro's Tires - Norm

Norm, what size tires was Jethro running? they look awfully good and beefy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfman View Post
                Norm, what size tires was Jethro running? they look awfully good and beefy.
                I really don't remember, must be around 38" ???

Comment

Working...
                X