Well, I broke a front axle Tracta Joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I broke a front axle Tracta Joint

Will need to pull it apart to confirm it, but I'm sure that's what broke on the front right of the M37.

No hard running today, and it made some noise, but fortunately I was taking off on the trail from a dead stop when it let go. It locked up the wheel so I had to pull the flanges to let the wheels roll.

But then could not turn right as the joint was in a bind and preventing steering movement. Had to lock the front axle in and roll back a little then forward to get it out of the bind so I could steer. was able to get off the trail and back on the trailer in rear wheel drive.

Wondering if I missed anything during the winter tear down or if the lockers added that much extra stress. I only use them when needed and not at high speeds, and engage when not under load.

Oh well something else to work on. Now to get it apart and get parts (axle probably) and get it back together for the Labor Day weekend.

Thanks,
    Will

In God we trust, but don't tread on me.

The Essence of Freedom is the Proper Limitation of Government.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all.
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

HTML clipboardI pulled the right front axle, and I did indeed destroy the Tracta Joint. It looks like possible one of the "C" ears of the inner axle let loose first, then the other and one of the outers let go next. Still cleaning the axle housing, but some scrapes and gouges. The major scrape/grooving goes 7/8's of the way around and was likely done when I came to the stop. The bronze bearing in the spindle was wore on the face that mates to the axle side surface. The bearing was installed new, so I'm not sure if it caused the joint failure, or is a result of the joint failure. The axle housing bronze bearing has a cut into it from the broken axle. So so for I will need a complete axle assembly and two new bronze bearings.

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

Comment

Is that the first broken axle you have had? I am just wondering what kind of avalibility there is on getting new shafts, since you do wheel that truck. I have heard thats pretty common breaking point. Thanks Harry

Comment

As thick as those parts are I would never have expected one to break like that.

Comment

Harry,

Yes my first broken Axle. I did twist a rear Axle to just before the breaking point last year. I've since bought and installed a Foote in the rear, and will for now put NOS back in the front.

GSmith,

Based on what I've heard and seen, it broke right where I'd expected it to, just not 3 out of 4 ears.

All,

Here is a picture inside the Axle

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com

Comment

Good reminder to me that I need a set of left and right inner shafts a joint assembly and one outer shaft. Along with some other choice spares. While I might not wheel quite as hard as some guys it will get tested at times and I can be quite a few miles from no where in Oregon.

Comment

What to look for?

OK, I've just pulled the long side out, and was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what to measure/look for to determine wear extent?

I see some surface gouging, but that was there from before I got the truck, as It was very well lubed.

I see no visual evidence of cracks.

Thanks,
              Will

Thanks,
              Will
              WAWII.com

Comment

If you look in the body drive train book TM9-8031-2 page 489, it gives the clearance's for the joint assembly and the shaft at the bushing area. I would also get it NDI'd (non distructive inspection) with dye penetrant or magnuflux. X-ray and eddy-current would prob be a little expensive.

Comment

Rush,

I forgot I do have that manual (I believe) someplace, I'll did it out. Yea I thought about the NDI, but cost was thought to be out of the question.

Thanks,
                  Will

Thanks,
                  Will
                  WAWII.com

Comment

Originally posted by rush View Post
                    I would also get it NDI'd (non distructive inspection) with dye penetrant or magnuflux.
                    Magna-flux is actually quite affordable, as any competent machine shop that builds engines should have a flux machine for checking crank shafts, rods, etc...

Comment

Thanks John Bizal at Midwest Military, the NSO Axles, seals and Bushings arrived this afternoon, now the re-assembly begins.

Thanks,
                      Will
                      WAWII.com

Comment

It still amazes me that there are NOS parts out there in box's just waiting to be used after all these years. I think about the fella that put the parts in the box years ago and figure more then likely he is long gone. A little bit of history.

I wonder how the resources for these NOS axel shaft assemblies are hanging in there.

Comment

M37 Broken Front Axles Replaced and Trail Ready again

Well 6 days later, the truck has two NOS front axles, and two Foote Rear Axles as well as new front axle tube seals and bushings, replaced right spindle, and right hub bearings and races and seal. Thankfully UPS delivered the new bolts from McMaster-Carr and bearings and races from Alex Nash this afternoon, the last parts I needed to complete the job. It's amazing how tight the new Tracta Joints are (yes I cleaned the protective coating off). With out grease they were snug, when I greased them they were actually tight to get together. I was unable to put the Selecto Lock-out Hub on the new axles, as it was way to tight on the splines. The drive flanges went on with no problem though. Everything turns and seems to work correctly and no noise at all. I still need to install the new Power Steering Pump and PS Oil Cooler, should get that done tomorrow.

Thanks,
                          Will
                          WAWII.com

Comment

Working...
                          X