M37 owner once again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M37 owner once again

Just wanted to say Hi to all the Military Dodge nuts out there. I am once again amongst the M37 owners. I purchased my fist M37 for $600 10 years ago from a guy in Kendalville IN. It was a fire department brush rig for many years and had lost most of it's military goodies along the way. After 6 month of work I had it on the road and was immediately hooked on M37's. Sadly I ended up selling the truck about a year later for $1000 w/winch, hardtop and spare axles (yes way to cheap I am still kicking myself). Fast forward about 10 year, I had been looking for a M37 or M35 or M715 ...... (well you get the picture) for sometime when I meet Ron in Indiana through a mutual friend. He was kind enough to invite me to his fall rally. I had a great time at the rally and got to see a lot of really nice trucks but it only made me want a M37 more. Particularly, when I saw Will Watson's M37. As luck would have it I stumbled on a M37 about a week later in the local free ad paper. I ended up being less that 3 miles from where I bought my first M37 in Kendalville. In fact the seller knew the owner of my previous truck and had 4 wheeled with him. What are the odds. Long story short I got the truck bought and am looking forward to spinning some wrenches on it. This truck is very original with all the military bits still intact. I am planning to leave it mostly stock unless neither of the 230's I have will go, then it is open season for conversions. I got all the manuals and lots of spares with the truck so I should have a good start. I will try to upload some pictures so you can see some before shots. Sorry for the long post....... Drop me a line if you want to talk M37's, TJ, 12v's, GTA's or Chevelle's lord I have too many toys.

Brian
    brianmcgregor@verizon.net
    Last edited by bigmac68; 08-26-2009, 08:22 PM. Reason: I proof read it three times and there were still errors

Brian,

Welcome back, and glad you found one. I was wondering how long it would take you after we meet at Ron's Rally. Post pictures when you get them.
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Not long at all

Will,

When my wife sat in yours and said she liked it I knew I was home free all I had to do was find the right rig. By the way, over the last couple of months I have been studying your web site. I have to say your site has got to be one of the best documented restoration/ conversions out there. I have really learned a lot about the aftermarket for these truck. I have no idea how you find the time to do the work and document it so well. Do you have a camera crew? I also like all the you-tube videos I could not believe how hard you wheel that truck considering how nice it looks. Hey, who is the guy with the Powerwagon on Rockwells?

Brian
      Last edited by bigmac68; 08-26-2009, 08:26 PM. Reason: I am illiterate

Comment

Brian,

Camera Crew, well the first time our 3rd daughter filed, she shut the camera off just as I got in trouble, so I picked up the helmet cam for the trials, it's a fixed mount so the shoots aren't as good, but it works even with out a co-pilot.

The documentation helps me as much as it does others, but I'm glad others get some good from it. The places I've found for parts sometimes amazes me. I get a lot of help from the crew here as well as those at Joe's site and the G741 site so I'm not as smart as it might seem.

I took Pam (Ron's wife) for a spin last year, and amazed Ron hasn't picked up an M yet as she loved it.

the PW on Rockwells ir Roger (Elmo) King, I'll send a play list for you to watch.

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

Comment

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Over the weekend I sold my 1989 Cherokee to a guy for $600 and picked up a 1993 Grand Cherokee in the trade. It has a 5.2l magnum under the hood and it got me thinking. I have $150 in the whole truck and could make some good money on it, but I could also part it out, easily recoup the $150 and keep the engine for a cheap V8 swap. The only problem is I would like to swap in a NP435 but I can't find any info on bell housing availability for the Magnum motors. I don't think I want to drop the cash on a NV4500. Any thoughts?

Comment

I believe all the small blocks have the same bolt pattern. The Bellhoisung for the NP435's is usually not cheap from what I've seen. If was to do it again I think I'd do a auto with a married T-Case, as for good trail riding the Auto seems to be the ticket.

Thanks,
            Will
            WAWII.com

Comment

I have Pics

Here are some pics of the new powerwagon

http://mysite.verizon.net/resvfk57/

Comment

Welcome Home

Originally posted by bigmac68 View Post
                Just wanted to say Hi to all the Military Dodge nuts out there. I am once again amongst the M37 owners. I purchased my fist M37 for $600 10 years ago from a guy in Kendalville IN. It was a fire department brush rig for many years and had lost most of it's military goodies along the way. After 6 month of work I had it on the road and was immediately hooked on M37's. Sadly I ended up selling the truck about a year later for $1000 w/winch, hardtop and spare axles (yes way to cheap I am still kicking myself). Fast forward about 10 year, I had been looking for a M37 or M35 or M715 ...... (well you get the picture) for sometime when I meet Ron in Indiana through a mutual friend. He was kind enough to invite me to his fall rally. I had a great time at the rally and got to see a lot of really nice trucks but it only made me want a M37 more. Particularly, when I saw Will Watson's M37. As luck would have it I stumbled on a M37 about a week later in the local free ad paper. I ended up being less that 3 miles from where I bought my first M37 in Kendalville. In fact the seller knew the owner of my previous truck and had 4 wheeled with him. What are the odds. Long story short I got the truck bought and am looking forward to spinning some wrenches on it. This truck is very original with all the military bits still intact. I am planning to leave it mostly stock unless neither of the 230's I have will go, then it is open season for conversions. I got all the manuals and lots of spares with the truck so I should have a good start. I will try to upload some pictures so you can see some before shots. Sorry for the long post....... Drop me a line if you want to talk M37's, TJ, 12v's, GTA's or Chevelle's lord I have too many toys.

Brian
                brianmcgregor@verizon.net
                No post is to long or too short for that matter. Your rig looks familiar?
                Congratulations,

Comment

for good trail riding the Auto seems to be the ticket

"for good trail riding the Auto seems to be the ticket"

That depends on the trail. Rock crawling down long steep grades is no fun w/ an auto. Last year's PA rock crawling with my original (mostly) M37 and other members of Steelsoldiers.com in their M35A2's, M818, CUCV's, and a race type Baja Blazer quickly showed the advantages of the manual tranis to go slow and safety down hills (not rely on brakes - fade out). However, IMHO, autos seemed better when climbing hills.

Comment

Auto vs. Manual?

I think a manual trans will make you live longer. You need both arms and both legs to drive one, (an auto only needs one leg and an arm) and that means a full body workout. Excercise is apparently good for ones health, or so I've been told, so I would rather shift gears than jog 5 miles.

Plus, the added challenge of doing the three-pedal-dance is worthwhile to me. An auto on the trail is boring after a while, especially with a capable truck. If you don't like to shift however, then I would suggest the auto as a viable option. :)

Comment

Working...
                    X