Help Please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please!!

M37 No spark out of distributor. Spark across to points when distributor is removed, hot wired, and grounded. Cap appears fine when removed. New coil,rotor,condenser,and points. Install it, hot wire it again, no spark. Is it grounding out somewhere? It's killing me, here. Can anyone give me some words of wisdom?

Have you checked to see that the distributor is actually turning inside once its installed?

Comment

Real Maple,
      Is this the military Distributor? if it is it should have the coil inside the Distributor.
      Have you checked the little spring inside the distributor cap that goes to the coil? Did you change spark plug wires? I f you are using silicone wires and not the military wires, remember that the tip of the wire needs to be all the way in to the Distributor cap, you need to have the right tip on the end of the silicone wire. Is there any corrosion on the cap or rotor and is the rotor making contact with the cap.
      Rich Szklany

Comment

Typical distributor issues

Originally posted by realmaple View Post
        M37 No spark out of distributor. Spark across to points when distributor is removed, hot wired, and grounded. Cap appears fine when removed. New coil,rotor,condenser,and points. Install it, hot wire it again, no spark. Is it grounding out somewhere? It's killing me, here. Can anyone give me some words of wisdom?
        First of all, the fact that the cap looks good visually means nothing at all. Most inner cap issues will never be visible. As was mentioned, are you using all the correct components for the system? Check out the inlet lead capacitor at the cannon plug where the lead wire from the ignition switch is attached. I just helped a gentleman this week who had a similar issue, after removing the capacitor and running the primary lead straight to the positive coil terminal, his no fire issue was cured. The capacitor is there to help knock down radio interference, if that is not an issue on your truck, remove it, you will be better off and get a hotter spark in a healthy system. Is your new coil an import? If so, I've took more than 1 new one from the box that was bad, double check that. Getting a spark at the points isn't much of an indicator in many cases. It certainly doesn't mean you will maintain a good spark in a load type situation. One other question; are your vent lines hooked up? Have you checked to be certain the distributor vent system is functioning correctly? If you have issues with the ventilation system, it will cause problems. Usually the first sign is the coil destroyed because of overheating, the next issue is usually the inner cap material melting around the terminals if the coil lives long enough for this to take place. All else I know to say is keep chasing, you will run it down eventually.

We offer complete distributor rebuild service if you need it, using a 24-volt all electronic ignition module or the original points and condensor system. We can go through the whole unit, test it for proper function on our test stand, and return it to you ready to install with a warranty. Good luck.

Comment

[
          We offer complete distributor rebuild service if you need it, using a 24-volt all electronic ignition module or the original points and condensor system. We can go through the whole unit, test it for proper function on our test stand, and return it to you ready to install with a warranty. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Real Maple,
          You will be satisfied with the service described by Charles. I had him rebuild mine to include the 24V electronic module. It has performed as promised and the turn around time was very reasonable. I recommend it.

Comment

Working...
          X