Carter B&B carb question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carter B&B carb question.

Hello out there. I just picked up my new toy , its a 1953 M37 in fair condition as far as I can tell so far. I just started to pull it apart.
    It runs well but it spits and back fires if I give it too much throttle too fast.
    I figured it may be the accelerator pump.
    This carb is a Carter B&B and has the vacuum operated style pump.
    I took the top lid off the carb and found it to be very clean inside as if it has been looked at at some point.
    What I found was that if I pumped the accelerator piston by hand gas does NOT come out the jet in the throat it squirts out of a small drill hole at the back end of the accelerator jet area where the screw cap is . It squirts up into a chamber that seems to be conected to the float bowl vent.
    If I put my finger on the drill hole the gas then squirts out the jet.
    My question is " should that hole be blocked" ? Was this carb never right ? I have taken a good close up of it but I have not been able to load a picture on a url with the system I have up here in the woods of Pa. I can email anyone a photo if they think they can help
    Thank you , Alan in North central Pa.

Welcome to the "club". Lots of good people here.
    Below is a link to a post I made regarding my civilian PW. It might help you since both of us have the vacuum acc pumps.
    I have been told they used the vacuum acc pump originally because it worked with their idea of trying to make the carb waterproof for fording purposes in the military models. But, within a few years they switched to a mechanical acc pump which is simpler and easier to troubleshoot. I am not sure if this story is true but thats what I read either here or on Joe's forum.

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...celerator+pump

Comment

Ok Thanks I will give it a look see.

Comment

Working...
      X