Power Steering Walk Through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering Walk Through

I'm looking into a power steering conversion.

Can someone walk me through the needed parts and steps for the conversion, as far as i know this is what has to be done.

-Mount for PS box on frame, Snake River is the only one i know of that makes the bracket.

-Saginaw Pumps can be used

-Have to install u-joints to adapt to existing column

-Install pump and pump bracket, i will probably make my own bracket because i already have a hydraulic pump (for my snow plow) mounted where you would typically install the PS pump, not sure what PS pump to use, I'm probably going to look for a real compact one.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

This modification appeared in the in the April 1989 issue of the Power Wagon Advertiser. The article is by Tim Peterson who originated the use of the Saginaw reverse steering box on his M37. I have referenced this article to put power steering on two trucks, a C3PW and an M37. If you can get a copy of this issue it will give you all the info you need. Maybe Gordon could re run this article as this topic comes up a lot.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Doakster View Post
      I'm looking into a power steering conversion.

Can someone walk me through the needed parts and steps for the conversion, as far as i know this is what has to be done.

-Mount for PS box on frame, Snake River is the only one i know of that makes the bracket.

-Saginaw Pumps can be used

-Have to install u-joints to adapt to existing column

-Install pump and pump bracket, i will probably make my own bracket because i already have a hydraulic pump (for my snow plow) mounted where you would typically install the PS pump, not sure what PS pump to use, I'm probably going to look for a real compact one.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks
      We offer a custom power steering set up for the M37 if you are interested.

Comment

m37 PS

Here is a link I saw awhile back. I think it is pretty descriptive ...

ed

http://www.uglytruckling.com/M37%20T...0ps%20pump.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
          We offer a custom power steering set up for the M37 if you are interested.

Yes i am interested, can you list the parts you use as well as pricing? Or would it be better to call you?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Irons View Post
            This modification appeared in the in the April 1989 issue of the Power Wagon Advertiser. The article is by Tim Peterson who originated the use of the Saginaw reverse steering box on his M37. I have referenced this article to put power steering on two trucks, a C3PW and an M37. If you can get a copy of this issue it will give you all the info you need. Maybe Gordon could re run this article as this topic comes up a lot.

Frank
            Gordon...hope you see this and can post something up.

Comment

Originally posted by xm708 View Post
              Here is a link I saw awhile back. I think it is pretty descriptive ...

ed

http://www.uglytruckling.com/M37%20T...0ps%20pump.htm
              I've read through that before, and for my situation i don't think there bracket is going to help me much, I have a hydraulic pump mounted pretty close to where they mount that steering pump. I'm probably going to have to fab my out mount and find a pump that will fit.

I've also thought about just tapping into my hydraulic pump that runs my snow plow to supply a steering box, it has a normal supply and return just like a PS pump. The only issue would be is if the hydraulic pump has enough flow to turn the steering box and operate my plow at the same time, still haven't figured out if it will work. I wouldn't have to install another PS pump.

I'll get some pics posted of my engine bay and the hydraulic pump for reference.

Comment

Here is a pic of my engine by, you can see i only have one tight spot to stick a PS pump to the left of my hydraulic pump.

Charles how do you think your set up with fit into the engine bay? Or what are your thoughts on tapping into the supply/return lines of my hydraulic pump for use?

Comment

Yes i am interested, can you list the parts you use as well as pricing? Or would it be better to call you?
                  Give me a call at the shop, I can explain it to you better.

Comment

Here is a pic of my engine by, you can see i only have one tight spot to stick a PS pump to the left of my hydraulic pump.

Charles how do you think your set up with fit into the engine bay? Or what are your thoughts on tapping into the supply/return lines of my hydraulic pump for use?

If you did a priority valve to direct the flow to first things first, the pump you have might service P/S as well. You would need to know the flow rate (GPM) and the PSI rating of your pump to tell if the ratings are sufficient for power steering. Too little or too much for the steering box will not work well. Do you know what your current pump offers at 1,000 engine RPM?

Comment

Gordon...hope you see this and can post something up.
                      It was run in the magazine a long time ago, as Frank says. I should run it as an article in the magazine again.
                      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I have found the article, thanks to Frank. I believe I will run it again. That was 20 years ago; it isn't too soon to run it again, is it?

Comment

April 1989 article by Tim Peterson

Gorden,

I think it is a great time to re-run the M37 Saginaw article. Or; would it be possible to post it on the the "Inner Circle"?

Thanks,

Comment

I am going to be putting it in the magazine at some point in the next several months.

Comment

Doakster
                              -Curious what you found out regarding your plow pump for its specs. I think I have the same Fisher set up, but you seem to have a better mounting bracket system. Do you have any side angle shots of the brackets? Mine is sort of cobbled together on top of the generator and spends most of its time wobbling around. I might need to make up the aft mount stablizer like on yours.

I know this past weekend the plow had one heck of a work out - I think I plowed two to three times a day during the three day storm. Even managed to get stuck at one point when I lost track of the ditch and sank the truck deep in snow. Ahh the stupid things you do when it is cold out.

Luckily no pictures were taken, and another plow managed to have pity on me an pull me out. Lived to plow another day.

JIM

Comment

Working...
                              X