Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honking Carb.

Dont laugh OK.
    I finally the carb back together and the new electric fuel pump and regulator all set up and hit the starter. After a few cranks it started right up and ran.
    It was a little hard to keep it running but smoothed out after a bit and I started to get a warm feeling that I did it. Then it started to die out but rcovered all by its self. It kept running but it was swinging wildly from high idle to almost stalling out. The carb would make a sucking noise at the stall point then recover and pick up speed then die down and almost stall again and make the sucking sound and then pick up again. This went on for about ten minutes . The time between high idle and near stalling was about 10 seconds each time. I tried adjusting the idle mix , it had no effect.
    I went to pull the choke out a bit to see if it was just starving and by accident I pulled it all the way out and the engine made a strange Goose honk like noise and then everything smoothed out and it ran just fine. I drove it around for a while and all was well.
    Later after it cooled down ( up here that only takes an hour) I restarted it and everything was still just fine.
    I have never heard an engine make a noise like this thing did , like I said it sounded just like a Goose honk.
    The only thing I can thik of it there must have been a speck of crap stuck in something and yanking out the choke sucked it out. But the honk part is still a mystery.

Maybe that is where the term goosing the throttle comes from?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Olson View Post
      Maybe that is where the term goosing the throttle comes from?
      Hmm , could be.

I figure If the horn ever fails I have a back up. Just yank the choke out and it will honk.

Comment

So we currently have a thread about a honking carb & another thread about a whistling carb. Which is next, humming or yodeling?

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
          So we currently have a thread about a honking carb & another thread about a whistling carb. Which is next, humming or yodeling?

Bucky
          I have to admit that I would take a humming or yodeling carb over a rapping carb anyday.......Boom Boom Umff Spft Spft Boom......

Comment

First good laugh I've had all week. Honking, whistling, humming, yodeling, carbs, what a "hoot" thanks guys. Carter

Comment

Working...
            X