Honking carb II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honking carb II

Well I knew that was too good to be true that the problem went away.
    After sitting for two days the problem came back.
    The engine starts just fine it will run ok for about a minute then it starts to die and catches its self just before stalling and gaspes and reves up for a few seconds and then starts to die. This goes on for a few minutes with me pulling the choke knob out a second before it stalls to keep it running. The cycle between high revs and near stalling is about ten seconds.
    If I keep it going it will eventually run ok but it takes about 5 minutes to get it to run smooth with no surging.
    Any ideas ?

Found it!
    It turns out that the Micky Mouse rebuild kit gasket was NOT punched in one place causing a blockage.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
      Found it!
      It turns out that the Micky Mouse rebuild kit gasket was NOT punched in one place causing a blockage.
      May I ask where you obtained the Mickey Mouse rebuild kit from?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
        May I ask where you obtained the Mickey Mouse rebuild kit from?
        I think it was "THE CARB. DOCTOR " They are located in Alberta Canada.
        I dont like just ordering stuff on-line so I called them to make sure I was ordering the right kit. I spoke with some one there and told them what kind of truck it was and I gave him all the information off the carb. It was a Carter BB with a vacuume accelerator pump and a govorner.
        He replied "no problem we have a kit for that carb".
        5 weeks later it showed up. I could have walked there and back in 5 weeks.

The idle mixture screw was twice as long as the one on my carb and fit so loose you could wiggle it side to side. The fuel inlet/float valve was wrong. It was much smaller than what I needed, the accelerator plunger was way shorter than mine and dropped into the body without hitting the sides at all.
        Then after putting the carb back together and having the engine buck like an ill natured mule I took it apart again only to fine that the lid gasket was not punched in a few places blocking the low speed jet.
        I ended up reusing many of the original parts as they were just fine. I bought the kit asuming the carb needed attention as it gasped every time I fed gas.
        It turns out that the carb to manifold gasket was the wrong one and was blocking the vacumme port.
        It was not cheap either. Between the cost of the kit and shipping from the Great withe North it was up around $60.
        Yesterday I see on EBAY the exact kit I need for like $23. Arggggg.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
          I think it was "THE CARB. DOCTOR " They are located in Alberta Canada.
          There is your problem - your dealing with Albertans. I'm in BC, and even I don't like dealing with Albertans. The oil patch draws all the older, more experienced people leaving a big gap in the retail knowledge base. That gap is filled by all the inexperienced kids who are too underage to work in the "patch". I would almost guess that you spoke to someone under the age of 20 who was simply looking at a computer screen and reference a part number. Alot of these kids don't care about what they are doing, as they know within a year or so, they will be off to the "patch" to make ridiculous amounts of money where stupidity is irrelevant because they need bodies up there, not brains.

Anyone can be tought to put a carb together, but it takes experience to tune one. Glad to hear you figured out the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterYota View Post
            There is your problem - your dealing with Albertans. I'm in BC, and even I don't like dealing with Albertans. The oil patch draws all the older, more experienced people leaving a big gap in the retail knowledge base. That gap is filled by all the inexperienced kids who are too underage to work in the "patch". I would almost guess that you spoke to someone under the age of 20 who was simply looking at a computer screen and reference a part number. Alot of these kids don't care about what they are doing, as they know within a year or so, they will be off to the "patch" to make ridiculous amounts of money where stupidity is irrelevant because they need bodies up there, not brains.

Anyone can be tought to put a carb together, but it takes experience to tune one. Glad to hear you figured out the problem.
            We too have some problems with "drillers" I live in the wilds of North Central Pa.
            It was a very remote and quite area. Then they discovered natural gas under the shale. Now every Tom Dick and Harry is drilling for gas. One of the gas companys bought the Motel outside of town to house the workers that all moved up here from Texas.
            Every other person here now works for the drillers. Every one is leasing their ground to the drillers.
            When the drill rig breaks through the shale and you lose your well water its just too bad for you.

Comment

Working...
            X