Blizzard, one more time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blizzard, one more time.

Sandy shot these Sat. after the snow stopped. They look just like the Dec.19th storm pix but deeper snow this time. Plow rig worked as well as last time even with 28" unlike the Dec. snow which was only 24". Used the truck about four hours and didn't tear anything up so I don't think I'll invest in a cheap snow blower. I did get stuck next to my kitchen door (thanks NDTs) after shoveling and putting some Black Diamond blast grit behind the wheels the ones that were spinning and slipping got traction and out it came.

See you in the spring Doc. Dave after all this madness is over.

Carter,
    I wish you were my neighbor for many reasons, including the nice plow rig you have!
    I have a long gravel farm lane, about 300 yards long. The blade on my tractor is totally inadequate for big snows like we had here in Maryland. SO, I put on the manure bucket on my front end loader part of the tractor. It works better but still it is a pain as it is constant back and forth, up and down action, with occasional digging in the bank run gravel layer. If my road was blacktop I could put it down on the pavement and move it a little easier.
    I understand you are getting 6-12" more today? Is this Minnesota or Maryland? I don't remember anymore! haha I hope we are getting rain and not more snow down here.

Comment

We are supposed to get 8 inches over the next day. I hope they are wrong. When the wind comes it is bad...
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Dave, having a neighbor that was intrested in old Dodges would be great. After clearing your driveway we could sit and talk about our toys and sip hot beverages. When my drive was stone I did push some of it with the snow but when melted I'd just regrade using the blade and have a better and smoother one for doing it.
        Minnesota, Maryland, Blizzardland? Seems like it is some state well north of here as this is the most snow I have seen my entire life. Never been to Alaska but we may have as much snow on the ground as some parts of there. Take care and remember spring is right around the corner, just not sure where the corner is just yet and it doesn't show on any map that I have. I think that Groundhog had his head up his arse.

Well Gordon, I used to think 8 to 10 inches was deep snow but after two blizzards in just six weeks and another 16 inches or more due today and tomorrow I am inclined to believe it would be a pleasant break from the multi-feet drops we have been dealing with lately.

Comment

Blizzardland indeed,

thanks Carter for posting again. I think you all got a few more inches than we did in northern Va. Still it was two storms of EPIC proportions for our area. I knew we were in deep when the D9 series Catepillar came up the road for widening purposes. My regret is that my M37 sat still due to no brakes yet. My fault.
          It does my heart good to see your truck working hard for you and really bring value to ownership..

Comment

Warren, we are again scheduled to get another storm which is forcast to deliver as much as 12" Thursday into Friday. If this winter season's snow fall continues we will need that D9 here pushing back the piles that have built up. Thus far we have accumulated over 70", not counting the drifting that has taken place during and after each storm. We both live south of the Mason-Dixon line so what is going on?

Possible Headline: Global Warming Brings Record Snow to the Southern Areas of the United States

Comment

Carter,

I thought Iowa had it bad at 58 inches. We should all be hoping for a very slow thaw.

We are expecting some level of flooding here in the spring and farmers will have a hard time getting their crop planted. If it shoots directly up to 60 degrees, we will have a real problem.

Comment

Kevin, a slow thaw is what's needed or low lying areas will be under water and here where I live instead of soil we will have thick brown dirt soup with the grass floating in it looking like parsley flakes.

Comment

Originally posted by carter davidson View Post
                  Warren, we are again scheduled to get another storm which is forcast to deliver as much as 12" Thursday into Friday. If this winter season's snow fall continues we will need that D9 here pushing back the piles that have built up. Thus far we have accumulated over 70", not counting the drifting that has taken place during and after each storm. We both live south of the Mason-Dixon line so what is going on?

Possible Headline: Global Warming Brings Record Snow to the Southern Areas of the United States

I'd say it is just our turn in a cyclical pattern that repeats itself every so often. 1996 & 1979 come to mind as years of BIG snows here. In 1979 I had owned my M37 for less than a year. It performed flawlessly in the deep snow. It did need a little weight added to the bed for best performance.
                  Call me crazy but I think we need some big snows to remind us of just Who is in charge and how fragile we really are. It is hard to be a control freak or an egotist in the face of 50 mph winds, sideways snow, white out vision and 25 degree temps.
                  Then, later on, comes the sunny day after a big snow and the distinct beauty and quiet that falls on the land.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Watt View Post
                    Then, later on, comes the sunny day after a big snow and the distinct beauty and quiet that falls on the land.
                    If you close your eyes, you can hear the sound of the creek water tumbling over the rocks that comes each year with the thaw.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Watt View Post
                      Call me crazy but I think we need some big snows to remind us of just Who is in charge and how fragile we really are. It is hard to be a control freak or an egotist in the face of 50 mph winds, sideways snow, white out vision and 25 degree temps.
                      Well said, Warren, you have a nice way with words. Also I share your sentiments about our place in this world.

Comment

Those big snows...........

Kevin - great add on. Yes, I can indeed hear that water cascading down the rocks making their music we so often miss.
                        Dave - Glad you agree with who we really are.
                        To sum it up, I'd say that having all 4 seasons is my preference. Plain and simple.

Comment

Working...
                        X