Compression Readings on Donor Truck 230

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression Readings on Donor Truck 230

OK - My compression readings are 110-120-114-115-117-113. Truck was warmed up prior to testing. I know a kid and his Dad rebuilt this motor a number of years ago, it runs well, purrs like a kitten when it warms up but before I drop it into my frame off, what should I worry about or do before that exercise? I bought it primarily for the winch and got the motor as a bonus.

I've been concerned as when running the truck, it seems to cut out when reaching higher RPM's so perhaps the governor need's adjustment. It does not have the ETW1 on it. I have one those to rebuild. The plugs all appear to be rather sooty but not wet and it's been converted to 12V.

Originally posted by Wulfman View Post
    OK - My compression readings are 110-120-114-115-117-113. Truck was warmed up prior to testing. I know a kid and his Dad rebuilt this motor a number of years ago, it runs well, purrs like a kitten when it warms up but before I drop it into my frame off, what should I worry about or do before that exercise? I bought it primarily for the winch and got the motor as a bonus.

I've been concerned as when running the truck, it seems to cut out when reaching higher RPM's so perhaps the governor need's adjustment. It does not have the ETW1 on it. I have one those to rebuild. The plugs all appear to be rather sooty but not wet and it's been converted to 12V.
    Readings are fairly typical, there is life left in it for sure. Ideally should be no more than 5# variation from one to another, but still ok. What do you mean by cut-out? It could be an electrical issue, for instance loose distributor shaft bushings or distributor shaft cam letting the shaft bounce around a bit. What type of governor does it have? The original would have been part of the carburetor. Many that have had carbs changed to something other than the ETW1 have no governor at all.

Comment

Bit of a Hodge Podge

Charles, the Donor Motor has a civilian Fuel Pump, alternator, distributor, been converted to 12V, has the correct exhaust manifold but a different intake manifold, an E7T1 carb with no Gov and a 6V starter so it could be any number of things.

I'm going to rebuild the ETW1 I picked up, likely put the OEM Intake Manifold back on it and check for slop in the distributor. I'm just happy to finally have a 230 dropped into it at this point and if I weren't 3,000 miles away would avail myself to your services. Nonetheless, I do appreciate your input and help.

Comment

Working...
      X