Door weather stripping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door weather stripping

Hate it, order new weather strips and they dont look like what was on the truck.
    Now I need to figure was what was on the truck wrong or is the new stuff wrong.

The metal track on the truck has one edge bent to a 90 degree that is about 1/4 inch high and the other edge is rolled into a -C- shape facing inward.

It was installed on the truck with the small rolled edge outward.
    The old strips were as far as I can tell -L- shaped with the 90 degree part of the -L- on the inside so the window was on the outside when shut.

The new strips Have at the base where it fits into the track a small rounded bead on one edge and a larger square edge on the other.

On top of that the shape of the actual seal surface is made up with two edges, one on the outside and one on the inside. The edge on the side with the small round bead is -C- shaped and has a felt coat on it . The -C- is turned inwards away from the bead.
    The other side of the strip with the square edge has also a -C- shape that is bigger and it is cupped towards the center of the strip facing the small -C- .
    If I install it with the metal track siting the way it is it seems backwards with the felt parts facing away from the window.
    Is there any place I can see how this should be done ?

Maybe a pic or two of what your talking about? I will try and take a pic of mine tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

I will try to put up three photos. The -L- shaped one is what was on there, the ood looking one is the new stuff and the other is the track end view.

Comment

Best I can tell from your pics is the L shaped is correct.

Comment

I agree.
          The center picture I called the -L- shape is what was on there. It is falling apart. I ordered new stuff and what showed up was what you see in photo three.
          I does not seem to make sense to as to just how it should work.
          You cant tell from the photo but the new stuff has a felt like finish on the right sides of both cupped sections.
          I dont want to call the vendor because I know they are going to say "thats the right stuff" Or thats all we have.
          Either way I will get ticked at them because to me the stuff is just wrong.

Comment

Okay

I didn't get to take any pic's but the "L" shape is correct, the fuzzy finish is kin to flocking. AB Linn has the right stuff, so should John @; www.midwestmil.com
            I would recommend Sid, but don't think he's working right now, you might try anyway; g741@ccwip.net ?
            I shouldn't ask, but who sold you the other stuff? We all should/need to know!

Comment

Yes, it wouldn't hurt to let us know where you got it. It could obviously be an honest mistake due to a misunderstanding by the order taker of what you wanted. VPW also sells that stuff and you cut it to the length needed. Due to the angles and the length across the top there are 3 different pieces/part numbers needed if you get it precut. I'm pretty sure Sid Beck is out of business now.

Comment

I ordered it from - VINTAGE POWER WAGON INC. in Fairfield Iowa.
                Upon ordering it I made sure he knew I was ordering stuff for an M37.
                To be honest the fellow on the phone did seem a bit distracted and in a hurry for some reason.
                I will give them a call today and see what they say.
                Stay tuned.

OK I spoke to the company again a few seconds ago.
                As I figured he said thats what they make now and there were several formats for the weather strips.
                He admitted that the configuration of the stuff they now sell is a bit awkward and it may work better if I cut off the entire outer flap so it will look and work more like the original.
                I replied while gritting my teeth,that after spending $40. for a few feet of rubber I dont think I should have to re-work it with a box cutter and run the risk of messing it up .

Comment

Did you tell them you need the stuff that surrounds the window frame when it's rolled up? If I remember when I get home tonight I'll look at the stuff I got from them recently.

Comment

Yes.
                    I hate mix ups so when I ordered it I was as clear as I could be as to just what I need.
                    If you look at the photo you can see the base of the strip is right. It fits into the track just fine. However the way the rest of it is made it gets in the way of the window.
                    If you roll down the window there is no way to roll it back up because the outter lip of the strip gets in the way and the window cant push it out of the way .
                    In my last call to them they sugested I slice off the outer egde. How you do that without destroying the strip I have not figured out yet. One little slip with the box cutter and you ruin the strip. Then what send itback all sliced up? I am sure they will say I damaged it. ARGGG!!
                    I think I can get something that close at JC WHITNEY and for way less money...

Comment

Yours will work

I had to look at mine and test fit it to be sure since it was a few years ago that I got some from them. The lip on the left side folds into the smaller part of the little channel piece. Hopefully I can attach a couple of pics to show it.[ATTACH]969-1.JPG[/ATTACH]
                      Attached Files

Comment

The one on the left is the VPW stuff, the one on the right is NOS. The VPW stuff actually fits in the channel a little more securely.

Comment

If the stuff they sent me looked like what you got I would not be having this problem.

That said I installed a section of it to see if maybe it just might work.

It does not.
                          Because of the small curved section on the outside edge it makes it so tight it pulls it out of the track when the door is shut with the window up.
                          I re-glued it in place and cut off the small curved section with a box cutter then it works.
                          So I guess it does work but you need to modify it a bit.

Comment

Mine is the same.

Not wanting to beat a dead horse here, but we do have the same weather stripping. I have it on my M37, along with the more correct NOS stuff and they both fit and look the same when installed. 977-1.JPG

978-1.JPG

Comment

Hmm, you had no problems with it?

Now you have me wondering if there is some problem with the door its self.
                              Well Like I said I can use it but only if I slice off the small outer lip.
                              Thanks for the info. and the photos. I am going to look at the door and see if there is any adjustment on it to give me a tiny bit more space around the window.

Comment

Working...
                              X