Brake Drum Retaining Screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Drum Retaining Screws

Hi I'm Englishman living out in Thailand and i would be grateful for some advice. Having installed a Isuzu truck engine in to my M37 I'm stuck on a stupidly easy problem.

Which way do the brake drum retaining screws rotate? as i've broken two impact screwdriver bits trying both directions! I do not want to drill them out as finding replacements out here would be difficult. Would some heat help? Thanks for any replies. Tyke
    Last edited by Gordon Maney; 07-06-2010, 07:54 PM.

They are normal right hand thread, turning them to the left (counterclockwise) to loosen them.

Comment

Thanks for that, but they are tighter than a male ballet dancers pantyhose !

Comment

Usually heat will help, sometimes placing the end of a chisel in the slot and smacking it with a big hammer sends enough shock through it to break the threads loose.

Comment

Thanks to your advice i got the oxy-propane on the job and managed to get two out, i hesitated in using this as i felt there was a slight chance that i could destroy the wheel cylinder rubbers the third i drilled out and will re-tap with a metric thread as there is a lack of AF threaded bolts out here. Many thanks again for taking the time to help.

Comment

Try heating the head a bit then squirt it with penitrating oil.
            Go have a pint or two then have at it again. By that time the oil may have soaked down and worked. If that fails repeat the above steps only add another pint of IPA . Sooner or later it will come out.
            If you get up to about 5 pints you wont care anyway.

Comment

Like the IPA solution

I subscribe to the IPA solution as frequently as possibly!

Comment

I had the same problem....penetrating oil and a impact driver got them all out no problem

Comment

Working...
                X