Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-series Alternator Conversion

FYI -

It seems someone is dumping a bunch "new" of M-series 60 AMP 28 Volt Alternators on ebay. They come up 2 at a time and are going for about $100 plus $40 shipping. 99% sure they are the real military generators that take M-35, M-37, and M38A1 pulleys and are a direct replacement assuming you buy the conversion harness for approx $40 from one of the suppliers" Just unbolt the generator and voltage regulator, move the pulley to the new alternator, screw the conversion harness into the line that went to voltage regulator and you are good to go.

I have these in my M37 and M38A1, one was $350 new (pre-Iraq) and the other was approx $400 Rebuilt (after the war time runnup).

The ebay seller is trinasdolphins912 You can find the item by searching "28 Generator" on ebay. I think he has sold at least a dozen so far.

I was hoping to see what Charles Talbert had to say about these....
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Here's my opinion

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      I was hoping to see what Charles Talbert had to say about these....
      I haven't checked these out on ebay, however if they are the genuine article, it's an OK conversion if you want it, if they are good units. If the guy is dumping for $100, if they are indeed new, he needs his head examined to be totally honest. I have to wonder about how good they are and the fact of whether the seller even has a clue. So many times the deal is this, units may be new, may be in military packaging, but many times when new stuff is surplused in quantity, there is some reason for it. If it's all part of the same lot, there is a very high possibility that some problem was found with all the units in a given lot, thus that lot was sold as surplus, no extra charge for the problems that may well be included. You got to look at this point of view also, he's selling for $100 each, he has nowhere near that in them and is making a healthy profit. These alternators do not sell that cheap, there is a huge demand for them at places like Memphis Equipment Co. They and other large outfits have folks searching constantly for finds like this, you can bet they saw it before it was sold, you DO NOT out bid these types of buyers if they want something. You can also bet there was a good reason these folks passed on it. They sell to mainly commercial customers who would quickly pay $400-$450 for these new. This would have been a huge profit maker for them. Good advice, don't ignore RED flags like this. Unanswered questions are always a big deal with surplus, and ebay is the greatest place on earth to get skinned, not being able to do a thing about it after you find out the hard way.

My personal preference is still the Delco-Remy 10SI. Reasonable price, 12 or 24 volt versions are easy to get, easy conversion, plentiful local supply of parts. Local supply of parts for the 60 amp military alternator is non-existant, and it will be HIGH $$$ at rebuild time. Most local rebuildrs are not familiar with them, and won't even try.

Comment

28 volt alternators

Charles,

Would you mind actually taking a look at the Ebay listing in question. Any comments on the accuracy of my ID would be appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/60-Am...Q5fAccessories

Rodney

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney View Post
          Charles,

Would you mind actually taking a look at the Ebay listing in question. Any comments on the accuracy of my ID would be appreciated.

Rodney
          I think the point Charles is making is that you don't know the condition of the units.

Here is an interesting link:

http://www.alternatorparts.com/10si-all-in-one.html
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney View Post
            Charles,

Rodney
            I did look at the ad. Looks similar, but photo is not detailed enough that I can make a positive ID. To me I doesn't look like a new unit, the one pictured is not complete as new out of the box. The cover band is missing and it appears to be scratched up somewhat. Not typical of a new unit that was just unwrapped to get a picture. Lots of questions up in the air on this one. If you have spare cash and want to chance it, I'd say jump on it. It is a risky purchase in my opinion though. I also wonder about his shipping method, anything that heavy, yet relatively small will go cheaper Fed-Ex Ground or UPS Ground. USPS, even the flat rate option is not real efficient in some cases, you have to check closely all options. USPS insurance is quite expensive, on a $100 item, there is no additional insurance charge with Fed-Ex or UPS. I'm gathering he likely has not done a good job of checking shipping options. I'm guessing here, but the picture appears more like a rebuilt unit that is simply being called new. If my assumption on that is correct, there's still something wrong with the picture, the price is just too cheap. Judgeing from the other electrical items on the ad, one has to assume the guy knows what he has. This just doesn't look right to me.

Comment

28 Volt Alternator

Thanks for checking Charles. After I asked, I noticed he had the Part # (10929868) and NSN 2920-00-909-2483. So I it is right.

My brief research suggests these alternators have been discontinued, which may partially explain the situation???

I hear you're cautionary note. Thought about one for a spare, but both of mine are practically brand new. If I wanted/needed one though, I'd take a chance.

Comment

Ebay Alternator

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                I think the point Charles is making is that you don't know the condition of the units.

Here is an interesting link:

http://www.alternatorparts.com/10si-all-in-one.html
                Gordon,

The seller states that they are NEW. Ebay and PayPal give you (the buyer) alot of protection against inaccurate statements of condition. You must use the complaint system - It is a pain and not the recommended route if you are really unsure about the item before hand.

Thanks for the link, I've bookmarked it.

R

P.S. If someone buys one from this guy, please let us know if it works, etc..

Comment

Rodney,
                  I notice he no longer has any up for auction. But the last one went for $81 and His shipping to my addy was $40.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...24968986214206
                  This one is Buy it now for $409 with $45 shipping. No Warranty as is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...99055570767647
                  This one is Buy it now for $649 with $45 shipping. No warranty as is.

The second two do look new, they are correct and each has a different seller.

This unit when installed on the M38, M38A1 and M151 uses the three groove pulley.

I can get a brand new one wire 24V 50A Delco for under $100 so I would rather dump the weight and the cost. Maybe even get one HP back to push the truck 1 MPH faster!!

Comment

Working...
                  X