1953 M37, will not start on it's own, but does with pull-start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 M37, will not start on it's own, but does with pull-start

Hey guys, I'm new to the M37 world, but am pretty mechanically minded. I have a stock '53 M37 with two fresh batteries, and the starter turns, but seems like it is a little slow compared to other cars. I have never owned a M37 previously, so maybe this is normal. The engine will not start this way. But when we get out our pickup and pull start it (getting it up to about 10mph and popping the clutch) it'll start....most times. The engine is a little rough, but it runs on its own when I can get it started. We've checked the battery connection pretty thoroughly. Is it time for a new starter, or is it something else?

Nebraska?...

Where are you located? Anywhere near Lincoln? If so, I could put you in touch with a few folks that know these trucks like the back of their hands (not me however!). And although I don't know a hill of beans about them (have owned several) I'd be happy to come take a look, I'm in Milford if that's anywhere close to you!

Comment

Actually I am going to school here at the U of Nebraska. Unfortunately, the truck is at my Dad's place, near Blair, NE. We bought it at an estate auction in Fremont, where some farmer loved them, because there were two more like the one I bought. And yes, that would be fantastic if I could get into touch with those people you described.

Comment

The starters do turn over relatively slow, but a good tuned engine will fire right away regardless, so something else is most likely going on with yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Nebraska Wagon View Post
          Hey guys, I'm new to the M37 world, but am pretty mechanically minded. I have a stock '53 M37 with two fresh batteries, and the starter turns, but seems like it is a little slow compared to other cars. I have never owned a M37 previously, so maybe this is normal. The engine will not start this way. But when we get out our pickup and pull start it (getting it up to about 10mph and popping the clutch) it'll start....most times. The engine is a little rough, but it runs on its own when I can get it started. We've checked the battery connection pretty thoroughly. Is it time for a new starter, or is it something else?
          Before you spend any serious money, I would suggest running a compression test on your engine. That single test will tell you more about the overall condition of your engine than anything else you can do. It only takes a few minutes to do it and a tester is not expensive and is available at any auto parts store. Post your readings here, we can help you from there.

Comment

E-mail...

Drop me an e-mail at dana.singsaas@doane.edu and I'll try to get with you here in Lincoln. My folks are in Blair this week helping my Aunt (she broke her arm at 75)!

Comment

Ok Charles, sounds good. I should be able to go back this weekend and try that.

Comment

Working...
              X