m37 runs hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• m37 runs hot

my m37 cdn temp gauge shows 160 but if you get near the radiator the top of the radiator gets so hot and the hose going to the heater gets hot also and the neck goin into the thermosat gets really hot i dont know if it is a radiator problem or thermostat or engine needs to be flushed any advice thanks

Originally posted by ralphtile61 View Post
    my m37 cdn temp gauge shows 160 but if you get near the radiator the top of the radiator gets so hot and the hose going to the heater gets hot also and the neck goin into the thermosat gets really hot i dont know if it is a radiator problem or thermostat or engine needs to be flushed any advice thanks
    It is hard to know what hot means in this case. It can easily be way too hot to touch and not be overheating.

I am going to assume it has had several warmups and has not lost coolant? Let it cool, remove the cap, and check your coolant level. It should be visible.

Start it and run it until the gauge says it is hot. See if it overflows or boils with the cap off. Do you have access to a thermometer you can lower into the top tank and measure temperature? That would be useful.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      It is hard to know what hot means in this case. It can easily be way too hot to touch and not be overheating.

I am going to assume it has had several warmups and has not lost coolant? Let it cool, remove the cap, and check your coolant level. It should be visible.

Start it and run it until the gauge says it is hot. See if it overflows or boils with the cap off. Do you have access to a thermometer you can lower into the top tank and measure temperature? That would be useful.
      i tried that ,took the cap off after the top of radiator got hot and water temp read 160 it does not boil or overflow i will try the thermometer is that normal top of radiator and heater hose gets so hot you cant get near it thank you

Comment

Originally posted by ralphtile61 View Post
        i tried that ,took the cap off after the top of radiator got hot and water temp read 160 it does not boil or overflow i will try the thermometer is that normal top of radiator and heater hose gets so hot you cant get near it thank you
        It is difficult to be definitive about touch. Suffice it to say, if an engine is at operating temperature, you won't be able to hold your hand on a top tank or hose. An experienced person can tell something from touch, but we can't communicate how to know that.

We need a thermometer reading from the water in your top tank to really know anything.

Comment

If you were able to take the radiator cap off after it got hot I don't think anything is wrong. You seem to be saying there was no pressure when you took the cap off. If it was too hot there would have been plenty of pressure. Taking a radiator cap off when hot is a way to get burned badly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gsmith View Post
            If you were able to take the radiator cap off after it got hot I don't think anything is wrong. You seem to be saying there was no pressure when you took the cap off. If it was too hot there would have been plenty of pressure. Taking a radiator cap off when hot is a way to get burned badly.
            Yes, that is why I suggested he start it cold and let it warm up with the cap off.

Comment

Yes, that is why I suggested he start it cold and let it warm up with the cap off.
              Yeah, I believe he missed that part or didn't read it clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gsmith View Post
                Yeah, I believe he missed that part or didn't read it clearly.
                I might use my own procedure in my shop, but I cannot suggest that people expose themselves to risk.

Comment

I might use my own procedure in my shop, but I cannot suggest that people expose themselves to risk.
                  thank you guys for all the help i need to flush radiator thanks again

Comment

Working...
                  X