O.d. Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.d. Paint

After pleading with a few local auto paint suply outfits in my area to mix me up a batch of ultra flat OD paint and and meeting with nothing but negative rersults or "we can get sort of close" replys and a $40.00 dollars a PINT price tag I gave up.

Then as I was wandering around the ,,,,,Wall Mart I saw a Color Place paint matching station.
    I talked to the guy at the counter and told him what I wanted.
    He selected a gallon of DUTCH BOY EXTREME ADHESION FLAT EXTERIOR ACCENT BASE PAINT with the paint code CAFE NOIR / 96314.
    The paint can be used over metal.
    I thought "what the heck, Ill try it ".
    I took it home and brushed it on a small area in the bed area as a test. At first it looked too light but after drying it was just about spot on and very flat. I waited a few days and picked at it to see it it was going to chip off and it is as advertised "extreme adhesion".
    I dumped some in my spray gun and shot it on the tail gate. It matches just fine and it is tough and it only cost $18.00 a gallon.
    I know this post will cause purists to go into convulsions but hey it works . Yes I said Wall-Mart.
    The best part is that you can buy a small can of FLAT BLACK if you need it darker and add a tiny bit to get the shade just right.

Intresting, never thought about going to Wall-Mart for OD paint mixing, that's a better idea than the one I had.

I mixed yellow and black Rust-Oleum and with a little fine tuning ended up with a almost correct shade of post war GI paint, however it was not flat but suited me just fine as it was applied to a trailer (not a resto) that sits outside and in about a year it had dulled enough to be nearly flat.

Click:

Comment

There is some company that specializes in producing military paints. I have seen it mentioned on some restoration forums and found it using google once. I can not remember the name though.
      I would not even think about using that Walmart stuff. It is intended for painting lawn furniture, home exteriors, etc. It will not hold up at all, on a vehicle. You are wasting your money, and more importantly, wasting your time.
      Jeff

Comment

Carter Davidson,
        This truck is also not a 100% resto job. I was wondering just how long did it take for the rust-Oleum to dry . Anytime I ever used any Rust-Oleum products it took days to dry.

Comment

Jeff in N Texas,
          Its not Wally world paint its Dutch Boy paint made for use on metal that will be outside. It is some tough stuff and it looks great, it drys in an hour or so to a hard scratch resistant finish. On top of that its $18.00 a gallon.
          If it fades in a few years I will dig deep into my pockect and see if I can find another $18.00.

I did do a little research on it and it should work. Like I said I waited a few days and then picked at it to see if it would chip off. It holds on very well.
          Whats the worst that could happen ? It may fade in a few years ? You mentioned somthing about use on lawn chairs, OK where do they spend most of their time.
          My truck will for the most part be in the garage unless my wife buys any more stuff we dont need.

Comment

I like your last comment here about the garage space. Well, let us know how it holds up over time. You may have stumbled onto a good deal there after all. I will say that $18.00/gal. sounds a lot better than $180.00/gal.
            Jeff

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
            Jeff in N Texas,
            Its not Wally world paint its Dutch Boy paint made for use on metal that will be outside. It is some tough stuff and it looks great, it drys in an hour or so to a hard scratch resistant finish. On top of that its $18.00 a gallon.
            If it fades in a few years I will dig deep into my pockect and see if I can find another $18.00.

I did do a little research on it and it should work. Like I said I waited a few days and then picked at it to see if it would chip off. It holds on very well.
            Whats the worst that could happen ? It may fade in a few years ? You mentioned somthing about use on lawn chairs, OK where do they spend most of their time.
            My truck will for the most part be in the garage unless my wife buys any more stuff we dont need.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
              Carter Davidson,
              This truck is also not a 100% resto job. I was wondering just how long did it take for the rust-Oleum to dry . Anytime I ever used any Rust-Oleum products it took days to dry.
              I thin Rust-Oleum that I spray on metal with 1/3 Xylene and it drys to the touch in about 4 hours on a warm sunny day and completely hardend in a 3 or 4 days. I have never used it on any of my trucks, just stuff like the trailer, GI gas cans and a PE95 generator that I wanted OD and didn't wish to use the more expensive Gillespie 24087 I have on hand.

I use the Gillespie on my trucks and their parts that I am restoring.

In this pic, the genny and the trailer's frame were painted with thinned Rust-Oleum.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff in N.Tx. View Post
                I like your last comment here about the garage space. Well, let us know how it holds up over time. You may have stumbled onto a good deal there after all. I will say that $18.00/gal. sounds a lot better than $180.00/gal.
                Jeff
                When I moved to this house I was in heaven. It has a 25x30 garage with a loft. The only thing it needs to be perfect is a toilet and a cot. Then my wife found that it makes a good storage space for gardening tools and stuff we dont need.
                As for the paint experiment, it comes with a life time guarantee not to fade or peel. I dont believe that for a second but if it lasts 10 years I will probably be dead by then and it will be some one else's problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff in N.Tx. View Post
                  There is some company that specializes in producing military paints. I have seen it mentioned on some restoration forums and found it using google once. I can not remember the name though.
                  I would not even think about using that Walmart stuff. It is intended for painting lawn furniture, home exteriors, etc. It will not hold up at all, on a vehicle. You are wasting your money, and more importantly, wasting your time.
                  Jeff
                  Jeff, I have seen an advertisement in a vintage military vehicle magazine for a place in Bowie, Tx that carries alot of military paints. I think the company is Rapco. I don't know anything about them but expect them to be more pricey than the $18/gal.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by carter davidson View Post
                    I thin Rust-Oleum that I spray on metal with 1/3 Xylene and it drys to the touch in about 4 hours on a warm sunny day and completely hardend in a 3 or 4 days. I have never used it on any of my trucks, just stuff like the trailer, GI gas cans and a PE95 generator that I wanted OD and didn't wish to use the more expensive Gillespie 24087 I have on hand.

I use the Gillespie on my trucks and their parts that I am restoring.

In this pic, the genny and the trailer's frame were painted with thinned Rust-Oleum.

Mmmm, Xylene. The place I worked at used that and Trichloroethylene as solvents. It is so good for you.
                    It is absorbed through the skin or inhaled and the damage is cumlative to your organs. Be careful with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X