No announcement yet.

M-37 not starting opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went over to Midwest Military to get some parts to rebuild the distributor and John said if that didn't work, to check the ignition switch. He said sometimes they crack and can build up resistance and get hot.
    Well I rebuilt the distributor with new bushings, cap and rotor and it fired up like it was new. I let it idle for almost an hour and got it timed and the carb adjusted. I took it out for a drive and now have no problems at all.

I looked at the old cap under a bright light and can see what might be a crack........I suppose it would open up when the truck warmed up. Between that and taking out the play in the distributor shaft, I think my problem is solved.

Thanks for the help and support.

Comment

That's good news! I'm totally floored, I never would have thought the problem would be in the distributor itself.

Comment

Originally posted by jzimm View Post
        Went over to Midwest Military to get some parts to rebuild the distributor and John said if that didn't work, to check the ignition switch. He said sometimes they crack and can build up resistance and get hot.
        Well I rebuilt the distributor with new bushings, cap and rotor and it fired up like it was new. I let it idle for almost an hour and got it timed and the carb adjusted. I took it out for a drive and now have no problems at all.

I looked at the old cap under a bright light and can see what might be a crack........I suppose it would open up when the truck warmed up. Between that and taking out the play in the distributor shaft, I think my problem is solved.

Thanks for the help and support.
        I gather it is working well with your original coil, is that right?
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Yes......the coil I replaced a few years ago.

Comment

I'm glad to hear you got it fixed.

Joe

Comment

I'm glad you got things squared away also.

I would add I understood you to say early on in the thread that you had checked and eliminated any issues with the distributor. Had we known that the shaft bushings were worn to the point of needing to be replaced; I for 1 would have suggested you attend to that way before you did. Our suggestions are only as good as the detail of the info you provide in most cases.

Comment

Working...
              X