M37 throw out bearing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M37 throw out bearing question

(1) Should the throw out bearing have a brass sleeve on the inner diameter?

(2) if yes , is the brass sleeve a separate part or will a new bearing come with it?

Thank you.

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
    (1) Should the throw out bearing have a brass sleeve on the inner diameter?

(2) if yes , is the brass sleeve a separate part or will a new bearing come with it?

Thank you.
    What you are seeing is part of the bearing, replacing the bearing is all you need if the collar it presses onto is good.

Comment

The actual bearing seems ok . It turns smoothly but I questioned the brass part. The bearing with the brass sleeve came off the cast iron inner part with a slight tap , it was a slide fit.
      The brass sleeve stayed with the bearing and does not seem to come out of the bore. It does have a very tiny bit of play along the axis. It will move approx .030 in with just finger pressure forward and backward.
      Is that a normal condition?
      I know I can get another bearing for $35 or $40 bucks but I hate to buy stuff I dont need.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
        The actual bearing seems ok . It turns smoothly but I questioned the brass part. The bearing with the brass sleeve came off the cast iron inner part with a slight tap , it was a slide fit.
        The brass sleeve stayed with the bearing and does not seem to come out of the bore. It does have a very tiny bit of play along the axis. It will move approx .030 in with just finger pressure forward and backward.
        Is that a normal condition?
        I know I can get another bearing for $35 or $40 bucks but I hate to buy stuff I dont need.
        New parts are not a tight press fit. It should not slide off with hand pressure, but the proper press fit is light, and taps off rather easily. I would try a new bearing before trashing the collar. Collars are available no problem if a new bearing doesn't press on tight enough. It's also easy to build up the bearing surface on the collar and lathe turn the surface back round to a diameter that provides a proper press fit. Rermember, when pressure is applied to the bearing by the pressure plate fingers, it is pressing the bearing against the collar, so as long as the stationary part of the bearing is tight enough not to spin on the collar, all should be fine. The actual length of the press is only about .25".

It is a good idea to replace the bearing if it has been in service for a while, it really is cheap insurance when you think of the damage a seized bearing can cause. It is a lubed for life bearing, we have had some applications that required the clutch be released an abnormal amount of operating time that tended to over work the bearing so that the lube was lost causing premature bearing failure. To correct this, we drilled and installed a grease fitting into the bearing case, using a high quality bearing grease moderately solved the issue, and they would last indefinitely if kept lubed like once a week.

Comment

I bought a new bearing.
          Oddly there is a parts place here that has parts books on old Dodge PW's .
          he had the bearing, plum amazing .

Comment

Working...
          X