New to the Forum,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the Forum,

but I have had several Classic Dodges before. I had a '74 Power Wagon that was 440/4speed that was my favorite, along with a smattering of other 70s trucks. I have just gotten a 1952 Dodge P/W Ambulance that was, and still is marked as, a U.S. Navy Medical Transport. I am understnading that it is an M615. Is this correct? It is a runner, but the clutch is stuck, and the body is rusted severly along the bottom edges of the side panels. I will get some pictures of it when I go to bring it home, as it is sitting about 75 miles away currently.

Welcome to the group! You'll find any information you need here, just ask.

Also, you're required to post pictures... ;)

Comment

I know, I know... I am hopefully going to get it this weekend. If nothing else, I WILL get pictures of it, as I need to be able to inventory it, start planning on the best way to restore it, along with wanting to show it to some buddies of mine that have late model Dodges, and keep ragging me about being a Ford guy, since I love my Full Size Bronco enough to drive them crazy.

Comment

Welcome, this is a good site to gain info, answers and advice from fellow owners and some very knowledgeable experts. Carter

Comment

ambulance vs hearse

Very Interesting vehicle. The smooth flow of curves of this ambulance distinctly contrasts with "crackerbox" style of the M43 Dodge. The Boyerton (?sp?)bodies on the M615 allowed a bit more headroom than the M43. That is a "rare" bird contrasting with the other varieties.
          If my memory serves me correctly, several of these were designated "deceased personnel conveyance" for use by the Navy and the Air Force.
          How much of interior in place? Unfortunately,I have no references for the interior parts but Dave Butler at VPW may have leads as he had several of these for sale years ago, and he did a restoration on one of them. Looking forward to pics.
          Mobilized(and always chasing ambulances)Medic

Comment

Well, let me offer a few of the differences in my ambulance that I have noted here, compared to the other body types: The back windows are square, a little over 12" each direction, the front doors are flush with the side of the body, there IS "no" interior seperation panel between the cab and the body, the apre tire is on the passenger side, full length running boards, full width rear bumper/step ( bent, of course ) and it has an insane amount of head room in the cab, due to the high arch of the roofline coming up from the windshield frame. The interior is all there, except for 1 of the litters, as far as I can tell. My understanding is that this body is the Gerstalger ( yeah, I know that it is NOT the correct spelling, but I can not remember how to spell it. ) Oh, one last detail... the box body has a "rib" about 3 inches wide that is raised running the length of the side, for structural bracing, I am guessing... as for the markings on it, the only ones that are still readily visible are on the passenger dooor. They read "U.S. Naval Medical Transport", and you can still see some of the old Navy grey on it, but it has been RE-painted at least once in O.D. Green.

Comment

Data plates

Any Data plates on the glove box or dash? Sounds like the M615 style, but special purpose built body is always be a possibility. Again, Dave Butler at Vintage Power Wagon may be a source of additional reference for you.
              Like, I said before ,the M615 style is beautiful in form and function.
              In the M43 style, the constant crouch in the litter bay of the M43 did not do one's back any favors, especially when there was tending to patients in litters.
              Sounds pretty impressive to get as much of litter bay fittings as you have on board. Those parts are the tough ones to get in ambulance restorations.
              Regards, Mobilized (and waiting for pics) Medic

Comment

Patient compartment.

Just curious. Does the patient compartment have litter racks for 4 or 6 litter?
                There is mention of several different companies (Gerstenslager,Boyertown,Mark Body)that made the Dodge post-war ambulance bodies, on websites for military vehicles and Dodge trucks. Another source of pics for reference may be Steel Soldiers.com.
                Regards,
                Mobilized Medic

Comment

Working...
                X