Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbee just arrived with lots of questions

Hi all,

I just purchased a 1954 M37 in a fair state of restored. Ok, I'm used to civilian auto restorations and this isn't close. It is however, a great truck and something to tinker with and still have lots of fun.

First of all, less than 50 miles on my new Tonka truck and the transmission bit the dust. Drain the tranny oil and felt around inside, found a pin laying in the bottom along with a few small chunks of metal (those I kind of expect with a non synchro trans) The pin turned out to be one of the synchro parts as the front portion of the synchro is demolished.

I started to look around for the parts just to find out that the early trans parts are non existent. The reverse plunger, spring and keeper were also missing. Looks like someone had done some tinkering before me. Anyway, I understand that the later trans will slip right in and there are at least parts available for rebuild when necessary.

I have a 53 dated trans coming from out west but, after some research it may be in the same condition as the one I have. The seller assured me that it worked great up until he pulled it out of the truck this week. Lots of crossed fingers on this end. Trouble is I think I would be better off trying to find the later NP420 trans. Big question is, are there any out there?

All the help I can stand would be appreciated, starting to get flak from the little lady over buying a broken truck for mucho $$$$ and spending more mucho$$$$ to get it on the road.

Now, when I get the tranny fixed, I need to work on timing and governor adjustments, it spark knocks like crazy when pulling a hill and speed drops way off.

BTW, engine was rebuilt a few miles ago and runs like a top except under heavy load.

Thanks,

Cav Trooper
    Last edited by Gordon Maney; 09-27-2010, 11:05 AM.

Good luck. You are on the right site for help. Not to be wet blanket but how do you know the engine was rebuilt? Are you sure it was not a Krylon rebuild where it was just steam cleaned and spray painted. The big loss of power on any up hill is not a good sign. It sounds like you may want to do a compression check.
    Been there done that. Ended up yanking the engine and sending it out for a re-re-build.

And yes I too have to do some fancy foot work to convince my wife that this will all be worth it when it is done so we can roar down the road at a blistering 45 MPH.

Comment

Thnks. The trans is supposed to be on the way, I'd still like to find a late MP420 to put in. I guess you point is well taken since the trans and all of drive train is supposed to have new seals, and all of them leak and some don't look like the cases were disturbed around the seal areas. The engine does run well and does not smoke, I guess the best thing to do is the compression test first and work from there.

Cav Trooper

Comment

Mine also started well and did not smoke or over heat. However it whimped out on any kind of hill. I ran a compression check and it was around 80 psi and 60 psi cold. Not good.
        Your spark knock is probably due to too much advance on the distributor. Most modern engines can handle 10 or 15 degrees of advance. Your M37 should not have more than 3 or 4 degrees BTDC. The marks on the wheel are cryptic at best so it is easy to make a mistake. Unlocking the distributor is another interesting treat. The nut is not in any place that a normal human can reach without getting under the truck and maybe even having to remove splash guards. And Oh yes there are two locking nuts , one for fine adjustments and one for gross adjustments. Both cleverly located down under the distirbutor where you cant see them very well.

Comment

Again thanks for the info. I still have all of my old timing stuff and a compression tester. At + 60 yrs old I didn't think I would need the stuff anymore but it's actually fun to tinker again. Sold my old restored Chrysler since it wasn't fun anymore. All done and nothing new to do other than start over. I drove these in the '60's in Germany and Nam and thought I wanted a Jeep but talked myself out of it and came across this one locally. It was a friend's who's business is down and getting a divorse. He only drove it once or twice a year in a parade. I think I put more miles on it in a week than he did in 4 or 5 years. It's not a show queen and I like that, I don't have to worry about correct bolts, s/n's matching etc. Just drive it to the range and a little here and there.

Cav Trooper

Comment

I am only allowed to have one big toy at a time. I sold my 1953 MG TD that was a barn find that I re-did and after a few years got tired of it . Sold it and bought this iron monster. I went from a vehicle that you could practicly pull the engine with one hand to a klanking brute. Its all still fun.
            I joke about it saying, " it aint fast or fancy but what ever it cant climb over it can push out of the way".

Comment

Right Place

Welcome Cav Trooper, How did the compression test come out?

Comment

I haven't had a chance to run it yet. I'm still waiting for a transmission and I need to get the "Honey Do" list down a bit before getting back to my projects.

BTW, when and where were you in 2nd ACR?

Cav Trooper

Comment

Working...
                X