m37 power steering conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• m37 power steering conversion

well guys, somebody mentioned they were going to do this so here is how I did it (on a budget). I wasted a lot of time in the junkyard looking for a reversed geared saginaw box, 70's dodge pickups and chevy vans. notheing. everybody crushed everything when steel was through the roof before the "economic downturn". anything that is out there is junk. I wound up with a box off of an 85 dodge pickup. ram or powerwagon I don't remember. it had a 318. cost was 30$. It unfortunatly was foward geared. I first cut an old gear in half and cut the input u-joint off of the box.

Once that was done I made a base plate for it useing bits of 3/8 pipe as spacers to shim the belly of the box up off of the plate.

then I welded the base plate to a plate that would bolt to the frame.

I welded 1/2 the gear to the box input shaft and welded the other half between a 3/4 bolt and the input shaft ujoint. once bolted down the gears mesh and form my patened redneck reverse rotation box.

the u-joint was too long so i cut 5 inches out of the shaft and pushed it through the firewall, here it is installed.

I cut the steeing coulum off of the old box and left the shaft stick out about an inch. I had an old peice of brass from a wagon that slid right into the tube. I had to bore out the center to fit the 7/8 shaft. slit the tube welded a piece of metal with 2 holes the the end to connect to the flexable rubber coupling. and reused the clamp off of the manual box.

Braced it up against the steering support. overhead welding under the dash is not fun.

Fabricated another plate to bolt onto the flathead and mounted my plow pump, reservoir and control valve.I built a new pully on the lathe with an extra groove and put it on the generator. they didn't give is one on the crank pully. this seems to work good.

And that is it. seems to work. nice. turning radius is the same(sucks) but at least I can crank the tires fast or at a stand still to make tight turns. the fisher pump makes plenty of power and flow. can now steer with one finger.

some tips: just buy a new reverese rotation box at napa for 160$ if you don't fabricate as a hobby, for me the journey is the destination. keep that box up high and as tight to the frame as possible. that will line up the input shaft with the hole in the firewall. and the output where it belongs. well that is it. I had like 10 pics, everywher you see a break i had one. and it would have been more descriptive but I can only post 3 for some reason, probobly the same reason I can't search or look at old threads. kinda frustrating.

Interesting. Your welds look like mine. Not so fancy but they hold Ha Ha Ha,,
    What is the Dell Monte fruit can for?

Comment

oil cap

Comment

What ever works . It reminds me of when I lost the bolt that keeps the generator tight and I shaped a 2x4 into a wedge with notches in it and banged it down next to the block to keep the belt tight. I figured it will hold until I get around to doing it right. A year later I got around to replacing the bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by gusbratz View Post
          oil cap
          I like it. Plus, it's easy to read the label when you look down on it like that.
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I like it

Mcgyver much? I like it and gave me some ideas.

Comment

Working...
            X