Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks

Ok, it looks like I need to replace the Monro Gas-Magnum 60 shocks I installed on the front of my M when I built it. I went with the Gas-Magnum 60's 66707 as I had a larger spring pack, and they worked great on the trail and RTI Ramp trials, that is until last weekend when I pulled up on a 25 degree ramp and scored a 98. It seems that the extended shock just could not take anymore, and puked oil.

So I could install some limiting straps, but would also like to get a little more shock stroke. The chart below list my (as I see them) options. The top shock (66707) is what I have now.

As my shock with the truck setting on the tires is at 19", and I have 2.5" between the bump stop pads and the frame, I could get down to a 16.5" (or slightly longer as the shock is on an angle), but believe I need a little more short travel to accommodate the axle tilt on a RTI, so I'm thinking a shock that is fully compressed at 16.375".

I like the 3rd from the bottom shock, the 66891. I should gain a good 0.875" of extra downward travel. However the shock is a little smaller in diameter.

Your thoughts?
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Do other manufacturers offer specification charts like this where you could look for alternatives?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Not sure, It took for ever to find these numbers for the Monroe shocks, ended up at a third party site: http://www.haldex.com/en/North-Ameri...as-Magnum-60-/
      I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

NAPA used to have some pretty good product guides that gave specifications and dimensions for their parts. It would be in the back of the catalog. I admit, I don't know if they still do that.

What about the places that sell truck suspension stuff, including lift kits? They may have some long travel shocks that would work for you.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I run a Gabriel 85303 on the front of my truck. 15.47 compressed, 24.75 extended with a 1.625 diameter piston. The original shocks, 7373739, were 15.25 compressed x 22.5 extended.

Frank

Comment

Working...
          X