Time lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time lost

What the heck happened? I know I was out of the loop for a few months healing up .
    I finally got my engine back and installed. Then I went to buy ANTIFREEZ!

I figure I must have steped through some sort of time loop or somthing.
    The AUTOZONE wanted $15.00 a gallon for antifreez!
    Whats up with that?
    Thats about twice what it was less than a year ago.
    Any one have any idea why?

Yep, I was shocked when I bought antifreeze earlier this year. I don't know what's up with the price either.

Comment

ditto!!

Comment

Price goes up this time every year, no front page news to us.

Local CarQuest has PEAK anti-freeze for 9.99 a gallon right now and for the next while, the pre mixed with 50% water is 7.99.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
          Price goes up this time every year, no front page news to us.

Local CarQuest has PEAK anti-freeze for 9.99 a gallon right now and for the next while, the pre mixed with 50% water is 7.99.
          That premixed stuff cracks me up. You can either buy a gallon of antifreeze for $10, or you can buy a half gallon for $8. Whoever thought of premixing that stuff is a marketing genius.

Comment

Originally posted by JStinson View Post
            That premixed stuff cracks me up. You can either buy a gallon of antifreeze for $10, or you can buy a half gallon for $8. Whoever thought of premixing that stuff is a marketing genius.
            You are 100% correct. However convenience is the name of the game for most folks today, thus it will sell and is a rather hot item. I'm with you, we don't buy it; we stick with the old fashion way and blend our own 50% solution; crude.

Comment

In the case of the landscaping company I work for it is much easier to just purchase the pre-mixed stuff and leave it sit out on a shelf than to have to babysit the entire fleet and check to ensure the mixture is sufficient enough to cool well and prevent freezing in winter. With immigrant workers, and other minimum wage workers they could care less what they put into the rigs. Its cheaper to pay $2 a gallon more than buying a new engine after it overheats/freezes as a result.

For personal use I would never buy premixed stuff.

Comment

ditto,again
                but i supose for somebody that has never/will never drain and refill a coolant system and just neets a qt to top up and they know the rest is just going to sit there till somebody throws it out it is a good idea, but it should be like 1/2 the price of the concentrate, not 90%.

Comment

Ah yes but you just dont understand. See they use ETHYLENE GLYCOL in the mix. You cant make it yourself so they have ya .
                  The water you would use is ugly old tap water. They use special hand picked designer water that is blended by a trained antifreez mixoligist.
                  Service like that is going to cost .

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
                    Ah yes but you just dont understand. See they use ETHYLENE GLYCOL in the mix. You cant make it yourself so they have ya .
                    The water you would use is ugly old tap water. They use special hand picked designer water that is blended by a trained antifreez mixoligist.
                    Service like that is going to cost .
                    A buddy and I were driving to town one day, and his temp guage started acting up in his Ford Ranger. We stopped at a creek and dipped out a bottle or two of creek water and put it in. Guage went back to normal.

Moral of the story? Ethylene Glycol or Fish Urine will cool an engine equally well.

Comment

Very good.
                      True story , It gets cold up here. ten below zero is not uncommon.
                      Last year I picked up two gallons of RV water system antifreez from Wall-Mart. Winterized my RV.
                      Around the 20th of Feb. I went in the RV to check it for signs of mice and I noticed a small bit of pink ice in the sink. It was the antifreez, frozen!
                      I normally dump some in the holding tanks so I checked them,,,frozen.
                      I opened up the door where the fresh water tank is and I saw three bottles of V8 Splash Berry Blend fruit drink that were NOT frozen.
                      This year I just may use V8 in the system.

Comment

Try Budweiser.

It will remain liquid long after water, Bud Light or the pink stuff have turned to slush.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                        X