M37 oil filter and pcv question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M37 oil filter and pcv question

I have a spin on oil filer and generic mounting bracket that i picked up at napa for a different project that never came to pass. It just has 1/2" NPT in and out. I was thinking of puting it inline where the older canister type is. would this cause my oil pressure to drop like a rock by shunting away too much oil? could i make an oriface to put in the line?
    also. the fording/metering valve was broken on the truck when I got it so I bought an inline PCV for a chevy straight six and put it in with a short piece of hose. I wonder if coupled with my pea soup oil filler cap I could be creating a giant vacume leak. has anybody tried to change one of these over like this?

here it is,

Comment

Originally posted by gusbratz View Post
      I have a spin on oil filer and generic mounting bracket that i picked up at napa for a different project that never came to pass. It just has 1/2" NPT in and out. I was thinking of puting it inline where the older canister type is. would this cause my oil pressure to drop like a rock by shunting away too much oil? could i make an oriface to put in the line?
      also. the fording/metering valve was broken on the truck when I got it so I bought an inline PCV for a chevy straight six and put it in with a short piece of hose. I wonder if coupled with my pea soup oil filler cap I could be creating a giant vacume leak. has anybody tried to change one of these over like this?
      The original filter is not a full flow type, but a by-pass type element instead. You can install a spin-on bypass type element and use the same line hook up as original. The spin-on element we use as a conversion unit is a Baldwin B164. I'm not sure of the filter head, but I believe it is Baldwin OB1311. I would need to double check that head number before ordering however. NAPA can cross reference these numbers over to their brand. Installing a full flow element as you have pictured is NOT a good idea.

Comment

Charles,
        The Baldwin filter base is OB-1305.
        I'm about to do the filter upgrade and have one question:
        which of the 2 oil lines is the pressure side?
        The line the goes into the top of the canister or the one on the bottom?
        Thanks,
        Rick Larsen

Comment

Originally posted by milstencil View Post
          Charles,
          The Baldwin filter base is OB-1305.
          I'm about to do the filter upgrade and have one question:
          which of the 2 oil lines is the pressure side?
          The line the goes into the top of the canister or the one on the bottom?
          Thanks,
          Rick Larsen
          Yes the base is Baldwin OB-1305, we just restocked our bin, so it is fresh on my mind. The filter element is Baldwin B164.

The line coming off the engine block oil galley is the pressure side. On a stock M37 engine set up, that line is attached to the front galley plug port. The line comes from behind the generator, has a 90* bend and follows along the driver's side of the engine head. A rubber hose is attached to the metal line and to the side port of the filter canister. The return line flow from the bottom port of the canister dumps back into the block port beside the oil pressure relief valve plug just in front of the starter and beside the dipstick tube.

Just so you know, there are 4 galley plugs in a straight line down the left side of the block. Any one of the 4 can be used as the filter feed except for the 1 that is made inaccessible because of being behind the starter. Be careful not to confuse the block coolant drain port with an oil galley plug; it is very close to the same location as the 2nd oil port where the pressure gauge sending unit is usually attached.

The OB-1305 base is marked for flow direction by arrows. It has 1/8" NPT female ports for both inlet and outlet, be SURE the oil flow is orientated in accordance with the arrows so the flow direction is correct.

Comment

Thanks, Charles!!!!!!
            As usual, you are a wealth of information and a great asset
            to the forum!
            Rick

Comment

Originally posted by milstencil View Post
              Thanks, Charles!!!!!!
              As usual, you are a wealth of information and a great asset
              to the forum!
              Rick
              Hey, glad I could help.