Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor Parts Needed

Hi,
    Looks like there has been a rash of distributor questions in the past several weeks so I might as well add to the list.

I'm looking for a parts source for a distributor shaft as some skilled mechanic ground the tang down to about half of its normal width. Why? My only guess he was trying to make it fit a military oil pump when the truck was converted to 12v. Then at some point in time a civvy pump was installed. While it did fit and did try and run, it didn't run very well.

Is there some place that sells/services or sellls parts for AutoLite distributors? I have a 1BR40014 that is otherwise sound but the shaft has about 10 to 15 degrees of slop which probably explains why it was a bear to start and didn't run very well. The lower than normal compression didn't help either.

Thanks,

Paul
    Wasilla, Alaska

Originally posted by Northwind View Post
    Hi,
    Looks like there has been a rash of distributor questions in the past several weeks so I might as well add to the list.

I'm looking for a parts source for a distributor shaft as some skilled mechanic ground the tang down to about half of its normal width. Why? My only guess he was trying to make it fit a military oil pump when the truck was converted to 12v. Then at some point in time a civvy pump was installed. While it did fit and did try and run, it didn't run very well.

Is there some place that sells/services or sellls parts for AutoLite distributors? I have a 1BR40014 that is otherwise sound but the shaft has about 10 to 15 degrees of slop which probably explains why it was a bear to start and didn't run very well. The lower than normal compression didn't help either.

Thanks,

Paul
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Sid at Ace Surplus had many shafts. I think Brent Mullins bought out all Sid's stuff a while before he died. You might try Brent Mullins Jeep Parts in College Station, Texas.

I have some distributors built from all new components, both points style and all electronic ignition available if Brent can't help you.

Comment

my compression is down to between 90-100 hot on all cyl's and now that I have my dist. straightened out it fires right up in the cold. (your definition of cold may be different than mine). it was 7 degrees fareheight a couple days ago and it started. (won't idle) but started.

Comment

Originally posted by gusbratz View Post
        my compression is down to between 90-100 hot on all cyl's and now that I have my dist. straightened out it fires right up in the cold. (your definition of cold may be different than mine). it was 7 degrees fareheight a couple days ago and it started. (won't idle) but started.
        The compression readings are down into the border line area that I described earlier in the thread. You are at the stage of having noticable power loss, an occassional skip of the beat, etc. It's time to start thinking about a rebuild in the not too distant future or just resign to put up with the lack of power, performance until it gets to the point of no return. If you plan to do a lot of snow plowing, the lack of power will stand out in a significant manner. It's just up to you how much you are willing to put up with along those lines. If you were roading the truck, pulling hills in 4th gear, you would notice it big time. If you are just off road, no doubt you can get by a while, but bear in mind that if you push it to the brink, what now is likely just worn major components that are easily rebuildable can become junk components that will require costly and in some cases, hard to find replacements. This is your decision to make.

Comment

Thanks Charles - I'll give Brent a try and see if he can help me. I may have to bite the bullet and give the truck graveyard down the way a try but i'll have to wait a bit until it warms up. -13 this morning with a 20 mph breeze that does't make junkyard treasure hunting fun. Two days ago it was +14 a 70+mph winds and now i haven't hardly any snow for Christmas.

Paul
          Wasilla, Alaska

Comment

Found one!

Didn't get a reply from Brent but last Friday on my way home from work I stopped at the only auto parts store in my little berg that still has all the paper catalogs that used to be used at the counter. I had asked Dave (the owner) about some parts for this old engine and hoped that he had found some and he had. What was surprising that another customer had stopped in looking for parts for a flat head ford V8. He was given my number and he called me and I got a replacement distributor from his junk pile. (And I really mean junk pile) Must be the right time of year. Thanks for all the leads.
            Paul
            Wasilla, Alaska

Comment

Working...
            X