Stuck Governor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Governor

Well, at 4:15 I fired up the 49 Power Wagon with the M's old Engine.

I finished wiring the cab side and filled the radiator. Started trying to fire her up, but no luck. Diagnosed it to be a fuel issue, and swapped in a TEMPORARY electric fuel pump, but still not running. Drained the collaborator bowl and tapped lightly on it a few times to brake loose what must be stuck internals. After setting with fuel for and a couple of hours of checking and re-trying she fired off. I've got to replace the oil filter flex lines, and replace a defective light switch, but she does run.

When she starts she goes to full Governor RPM. I can choke the speed down some, and once got it to idle down, but when I applied the throttle she went back to full speed. I've removed the electrical pump and re-connected the M's mechanical fuel pump.
    What does it take to brake loose the main throttle plate/shaft?

Thanks,
    Will
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

OK, got it figured out

I pulled the carb off and nothing is stick. Re-installed it with a new gasket, and while re-connecting the linkage it became clear there was a binding. It turns out that the new, slightly too-thick cab mounts are the problem.

The accelerator pedal rod is rubbing on the bottom of the hole when the pedal is fully released, and not allowing the linkage to fully return to idle. If I force the linkage back, and start the truck it runs great and hold 40 pis of oil pressure.

Once the s0n-in-law brings over the shortened blocks, and I install them I'll be all set (I hope).

Now to fabricate the exhaust.

Thanks,
    Will

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

Comment

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
      I pulled the carb off and nothing is stick. Re-installed it with a new gasket, and while re-connecting the linkage it became clear there was a binding. It turns out that the new, slightly too-thick cab mounts are the problem.

The accelerator pedal rod is rubbing on the bottom of the hole when the pedal is fully released, and not allowing the linkage to fully return to idle. If I force the linkage back, and start the truck it runs great and hold 40 pis of oil pressure.

Once the s0n-in-law brings over the shortened blocks, and I install them I'll be all set (I hope).

Now to fabricate the exhaust.

Thanks,
      Will
      The power of visual inspection.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Gordon,

Yea, It was strange, there was very little stroke not used, but it was enough that when I forced the throttle back, it idled right down. Sounds like I'll have a touchy throttle when it's all together correctly.

Will

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

Comment

Working...