need weight of 230 with trans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need weight of 230 with trans.

a freind just told me there is a 230 flathead with tranny attached at the local scrap yard. I am going down to see after work today. I called and they said .75 a pound out the door, anybody know how much this weighs so i can take some money. I hate to see it go to waste.

Best rough estimate on engine weight I can find is around 300lbs dry. The trans is probably another 75-100. I would figure on 450-500lbs for pricing and see if its still worth it to you/grab that much money and even if you are short they will probably give it to you.

Comment

I'm thinking around 800 lbs is close. Those things are heavy!

Comment

thanks guys, either it was gone or it never existed. he said for something like that i would have to pay .35 a pound out the door. he said for a newer engine with an aluminum trans it would be .75 that seemed pretty steep for junk so I was kinda glad it was gone.

Comment

So where a you located at? I'm in Pittsfield, PA.

Your truck came from Elk County, didn't it?

Just saw you were local. I have a '54 M37.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparFreak69 View Post
            Best rough estimate on engine weight I can find is around 300lbs dry. The trans is probably another 75-100. I would figure on 450-500lbs for pricing and see if its still worth it to you/grab that much money and even if you are short they will probably give it to you.
            Just so you know; the 230 engine complete and dry is 675#, the transmission less PTO and dry is 128#, total = 803#.

GSmith is the clear winner.

Comment

Either way, whether 500 or 800lbs, that is too much to pay for a condition unknown engine/trans combo. There is probably a reason the truck was in the scrap yard in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparFreak69 View Post
                Either way, whether 500 or 800lbs, that is too much to pay for a condition unknown engine/trans combo. There is probably a reason the truck was in the scrap yard in the first place.
                Maybe, maybe not. The high scrap prices of late have prompted lots of stuff to be sold as scrap that are very good cores. Most people I have the discussion with are not selling to scrap dealers because they know the item is not good for anything else, but rather because the price is up. Our scrap dealer, AL Lowder Inc has a lot literally full of very restorable classic vehicles, (cars, trucks, tractors) that were brought in and sold as scrap. They are now sweetening their pockets by selling to people who want classic vehicles for whatever reason. If the original owners would have used their head for something other than a hat rack, they could have advertised and sold for way more than the highest scrap price. This is a no thinking society in large part. Most of these sellers had to hire outside services to remove vehicles from their property and deliver to scrap dealers, this service took a sizeable chunk of the scrap price it brought. They are taking huge losses over what they could be getting if they approached this the smart way.

What's the saying, "stupid is as stupid does"?

Comment

I attended the "Fort Johnson Museum" auction last fall and the scrap guys ran the price up on lots of old iron M37 that would have been good to buy and part out but they ran the bid up to high and I didn't have cash to float long term. it was a shame. They offered to sell parts if you took them off before they came and got them. This was late Saturday. By 10 am Monday they had smashed and stacked everything and were gone. It was a shame to see the iron crushed

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
                    Most people I have the discussion with are not selling to scrap dealers because they know the item is not good for anything else, but rather because the price is up.
                    You bring up a good point there. There are a lot of people here that are will guarantee a minimum of $300 for any car, picked up. Quite a few people all they do is go around to farms and haul off old rigs, most of which have been sitting for decades easily.
                    I still dont think I would take that kind of gamble without some disassembly, which yards usually frown upon. Sure there is a lot you can do to resurrect a froze/worn out motor but there is probably a better starting block out there for similar/less money (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...Q5fAccessories).

Comment

dispatcher 1011. To awnser your question Pittsfield is close to me. I am in scandia. nice to see a local guy on here. you know what scrap dealer in warren I am talking about.

Facts of life. I hate to see anything go to waste. It seems a shame to me that a 60 year old tractor that needs tires and a set of rims is worth twice as much to the scrappe as it is to anybody else but china is a monster. Growing every day and devouring anything in its path. It will take a lot of steel to feed it. I worked in a steel mill for about 2 years. We melted a verity of scrap to make ingots. Most got shipped to a big forge in Mexico and then continued on to china and India. People there were happy to see us being so productive but I couldn't help but think this was just another way to ship America away. When I was there 5 years ago we were making over 12 heats a night. And I was working 72 hours a week. Now that plant is making 10 heats a week and alternating weeks to run (laying everybody off during the off weeks). As the scrap dries up the price rises and the profit margin of the mill dwindles. We were just melting railroads, steel buildings and mulched up equipment into a convenient package for shipping so somebody else (who is going to do something with it) can build it back into a useful infrastructure. Oh well all good things must come to an end.

I just thought that it was a shame to waste an engine like that. I sell a lot to those guys and they are paying about 190 a ton. They would have paid less for that engine saying it was not “prepared #1” due to its size. So roughly 9 cents a pound. Then for me to buy what he just paid 9 cents for he wants to sell it for 35. I am saving him the time of prepping it packaging it and shipping it. And in all likely hood the cash I hand that guy is going into his pocket. Not being taxed. You would think he would be happy to see and old flathead saved but maybe it was just a pain in the *** to him so he just wanted me to go away.

Comment

Working...
                      X