Yokohama tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yokohama tires

I am trying to find the Yokohama Geolander tires with no success. Yokohama dealers are little help. Anyone know if these tires are still being produced?

Yokohama tires on an old Korean era vintage truck seems like a sacrilege dont it..
    I felt bad sticking the new master cylinder in after I saw it was made in Tiwan.
    I know you gotta do what ya gotta do but it still seems wrong.

I replaced my dried out original tires with STA Superlug tires. They are 35 inch tires and have a good tread that is plenty aggresive and yet give a good ride with limited road noise. What I like also is they look like they belong on there. I see some that look more like they should be on a Dune Buggy and look out of context with the truck. But thats just me, I like to keep the truck looking as close to what it was as possible and still be functional and safe.

Comment

Thanks - I know what you mean. You don't have a pic you could post showing the tires on the truck do you? To me, a pic is worth many thousands of words.

Comment

You are right , I have photos but no simple way to post them on this site. I will try but the last time I tried the photos came up so small they were useless.

Comment

Geolandars are still in production. The MT's are a mud-oriented tire, the ST's are more road-friendly. I picked up 2 MPG running the ST over the bias-ply Super Swampers I had on before. Ride was much better- no "square-wheel" syndrome from cold bias-ply tires for the first mile of operation.

You need to run tubes & flaps in a tubeless tire if you use the original rims, so Yokohama won't guarantee anything. You'll also have to run fairly low pressures to avoid excessive crowning of the tread, since the Yoko is meant for an 8" wide rim vs 6.5" of the Budd wheel.

It pays to shop around- I was quoted up to $250 per tire, got them at Town Faire (a chain store) for $170 ea.

Comment

They still make quite a few variations of the Geolander. Tire rack sells them and they offer good prices.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....dar+M%2FT+Plus

This is the mud terrain but you can look at tires by brand and go to Yokohama, then go through the multiple options til you find a tire you like.

Comment

Thanks all. My local tire store is giving me grief about running a tube in a tubeless tire and installing a tire not really made for the BUDD and is reluctent to give me much help. Is their an alternate rim that I could use on my M37 that would not require a tube?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Thanks all. My local tire store is giving me grief about running a tube in a tubeless tire and installing a tire not really made for the BUDD and is reluctent to give me much help. Is their an alternate rim that I could use on my M37 that would not require a tube?
                Another question you might ask: Is there an alternative tire store you might visit?
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                  Another question you might ask: Is there an alternative tire store you might visit?
                  True. We have a local chain here called Les Schwab that is more than willing to put a tube into a tubeless tire. As long as the tire owner is aware of any (minor if any) issues that may arise from running that way they will take care of it for you. If they dont feel it is safe they will tell you so in a professional manner and offer multiple solutions to get you to where you need to be. We deal a lot with one local branch, so much so that the managers will go out of their way to help us get what we need accomplished. They will even go as far as gathering wheels from junkyards to the specs they require to get us fitted properly and safely.
                  Probably time to look for another source for tires, seems like your current store is one that shouldnt be doing well in business. They wouldnt last with an attitude like that up here.

Comment

You may want to look for a Truck service tire shop- sounds like your local store is hung up on liability concerns, or doesn't have the necessary experience & equipment.

As far as another rim, there isn't any tubeless 8" rim that will bolt up to the M37 hub- you're looking at custom wheels or different axles.

Comment

Thanks all. I think I will pursue a tire store that has options instead of telling me why it can't be done.

Comment

Thanks all. I think I will pursue a tire store that has options instead of telling me why it can't be done.
                        Steve, we do it with Yokohamas all the time. You can see many Geolander M/T radials on the client/photo pages on our website shown below. We have used these tires for years, best we ever found after trying many brands. Running tubes and flaps in them is no issue at all. All our customers who have them want nothing else. I have them on my truck. They were first recommended to me by a local truck tire shop rep who has been in the business for over 40 years. It was a God send find for us, they really do work great on original rims.

Comment

Tell him you will sign a release, or you will take your business elsewhere.
                          Likely he has been involved in a past issue with a customer and has cold feet about being in court again. You can't really blame him in this litigation prone society of whiners... = )

Comment

Working...
                          X